Tire size for my car !

Steven_C17

Cadet
Hello all !<br /><br />Well its the forth of july and we are all in good spirt today I see. Well after checking around I can see that the old saying goes hire the cheapest people you can and you'll be richer then you could think. Love them bone pierced noses with a pink strip down the center of the hair. Yup great sales people that when ask a question about what is best answer well price determines the best one. :confused: as can be.<br /><br />Man walking into one of these places and tring to get a simple answer to a very simple question is like asking a idiot be the CEO of my company, but yet dose happen.<br /><br />Simple question in 4 parts.<br /><br />I have a 1996 Thunderbird LX with P215/70/R15<br />I plan on pulling a boat about 2,500 max lbs.<br />Look for good traction for the pulling out on the water part.<br /><br />Ok first part. What would be best as to put on this car that would be best for toeing my boat such as maybe going to P205, P210, P215 or what ?<br /><br />Second thing is the second part is 70 so would it be best to go with 50, 60, 65, 70, 75 or what ?<br /><br />Third is the 15 and I am well aware of what it means, but I am not sure of if I need 16 or not ?<br /><br />forth is is there a good or bad side to haveing say like P215/70/15 in front and P275/70/15 in back for more traction control or dose this not work like what I am thinking ?<br /><br />Any help would be helpful seeing how its either this or go talk to the guy with a bone in his nose and a pink stripped down the middle of his friken head. <br /><br />Strangest thing I ever seen and do not think are youth are a good indicator of whatelse we will see coming as the place is turning back into the cave man days. And to think these people will someday be running are good honest companies and are goverment. Then maybe we will get everything right. :confused: and scraching my head trying to think how he got that thing in there or throw it or whatever. :confused:

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tire size for my car !

I'd be surprised if that car was rated to pull 2,000#. I don't think tires are going to make a difference.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need the P215/70/R15 tires. Put them on a vehicle suitable to tow a 2500lb load. The T'Bird isn't.<br /><br />Since the 2500lb is a guess and you might put more baggage, etc. in the boat than you expected, get brakes on your trailer since MI requires brakes if gross towed weight exceeds 3000lb.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Fishbusters

Ensign

Suggestion buy a decent tow vehicle because I don't think a thunderbird is rated to tow an empty trailer.

D

DJ

Michigan,<br /><br />Forget the tires. Your Bird is rated to tow 1000 max. You're stressing the body at that and the cooling system won't handle any extra load.

Steven_C17

Cadet

Well I can see I had some replys yet not a one answer or gave me any help so I guess it will be on my own to find out.<br /><br /> Oh and my T-bird is a 4.6L rated to pull 2,000/200 and with some mod I have had done like the oversized air, gear change and so on and verified by ford to do what I wanted is now able to pull 2,500 with ford backing so any problems ford picks up the tab on repairs as stated in the word contract. Da I see the owner manual even said 2000/200 yet none of you are even a clue as ya all think everyone tow with trucks.<br /><br /> Yup never seen a car tow anything let alone a small ones at that too.<br /><br /> I take it you people must be the smart bone nose idiots the companies hire.<br /><br /> I pray you people get you act stright before the hand falls on you !

D

DJ

I just hope he doesn't kill somebody.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Michigan.<br /><br />If you already know it all, as you seem to believe, why waste your time and ours asking questions?

Steven_C17

Cadet

JB :<br /><br />You posted "if you know it all why waste our time"<br /><br />Da read the questions. I was asking about tires not load weight ratings, yet these pooster seem to think that.<br /><br />All I needed was some helpful answer without truck/van idiots that most drive like they own the road and cause most crashes to imply cars can not nore should they tow.<br /><br />Yup I like the last idiot with a truck and drove his boat up onto the trailer. Started the truck and gunned it. He went forward, boat went backwards, and trailor strayed right there after breaking something. Da get a truck and monstor power your way on by F'ing everything and everyone in your path. The USA Way right.<br /><br />God do people even read. !

JRJ

Commander

Put some 12x16.5's on it. Load range E ought to do it. Now go away toeing :p :confused: ever after.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I as stupid as my wife keeps telling me, or is that guy 4 real, are we talking tires here or brain surgery? God forbid if he were to have to change a light bulb.......40w, 30w, perhaps 100w,15w........?

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

..........he let some air out here for sure, such a balanced inqary, hey buddy you got a spaire?.........high blood pressure? You've got a flat personality. I feel as if I've been tread on. You can blowout ur.............nevermind! :eek: :D :cool:

ebbtide176

Commander

lmao.... <br /><br />JB -its nice to see you're even giving a reply, i'm kinda surprised. i couldn't understand any paragraphs in the 'crazy post/logic' thread you replied in...<br /><br />ok michigan, i'll be nice & helpful and give you a straight answer. check out the load rating on the tires you're interested in. then get the ones that look the best and will fit under the fenderwells. get tires with real agressive looking treads, maybe off-road tires front and back. you might even need to add air shocks. <br /><br />the 215/70 is a good tire for your car. the 275/70 will be wider, and might help with traction control. :D smaller tires like 205/70 should help with towing in general, since it will increase the torque slightly. but two different sizes will affect how you rotate them when its time to do so. going to larger rim size will not help your pulling power.<br /><br />i used to pull my boat with a vw beetle. the beetle body was modified for offroad, and i built a custom engine cage/tow hitch on it. but the boat was a little 12'aluminum 'tinnie' with a 3hp outboard motor.<br /><br />but please take your time and correct spelling a little more. you can use the 'edit post' option above your comment window. and please make shorter sentences, its hard to follow your meaning sometimes.<br /><br />and i don't have a nose-bone,tattoo,dyed hair or any piercings. not from yale or too awfully stupid either (just don't ask my wife)<br /><br />you've got to be one of the most unique participants to post here in months though! hehehe<br />you should spend more time in SE USA, it would be good for you, and does wonders for your sense of humor also. ;)

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe, I'm replying to this thread again. :rolleyes: <br />So, Ford is going to pick up the tab, on any repairs? Oh that's priceless. I've got a bridge, I'd like to sell you.

crab bait

Captain

hunha,, you rotate the left lobeial with the front lobeial.. that ought to do the trick...