Tips Needed

MarkAB

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 10ft Bass striker (square bow) and a pre 1980 Yamaha 8hp tiller arm motor.<br /><br />I have tried numerous things to improve performance which include sitting further towards the front of the boat and adjusting the trim. The boat now almost planes but are there any other adjsutements I can make to improve performance without incurring additional costs? Possibly lifting the motor?<br /><br />Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

sloopy

Commander
Re: Tips Needed

An eight horsepower engine is not planing your 10 foot john boat? What is the maximum horsepower for this boat? Eight horsepower sounds like too much. If the boat is safe for 8hp; check that the anti-ventilation plate is at the same level as the bottom of the hull. If you still do not get on plane try trimming the outboard differently. If all else fails get a smaller engine!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tips Needed

With a previous post in mind, one can't help thinking power/weight ratio..???<br /><br />If this is or resembles your boat , you are way beyond the rated max. hp and planing problems could be due to one or more of<br /><br />a) motor not actually performing 8hp<br />b) very heavy boat & load<br />c) hull not planing design<br />d) motor mount on transom not correct (leg length?)<br /><br />Please consider the risc if you are not within recommended hp range. If you like to go faster, even consider a boat that is designed for such performance.