TIPS needed in order to change the belt

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Again I have a 1996 Starcraft with a 3.0 Mercruiser. My belt was slipping and I loosened the alternator and tightened the belt. The alternator is almost all the way out to the end of the bracket, so this tells me I should think about another belt...and has engine mounts in the way.<br /><br />1) How much belt deflection should there be normally?<br />2) Do you have any tips on how to get the belt on?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: TIPS needed in order to change the belt

remove the 2 bolts on the right side, remove the spacer, install new belt AND a spare belt(tie out of the way), install bolts and spacer and go have some fun.<br />Deflection should be around 3/4 in.too tight will tear up the water pump or alt bearings.when a belt gets thin it squeals no matter how tight you make it.

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bt Doctur. I pictured having to brace the engine somehow. The tip about the spare is also a very good suggestion.

Dunaruna

Admiral

1996, you mentioned in another thread that you had a lot of water in the bilge, probably a good idea to spin the alt (and any other pulleys) to check if water has damaged any bearings. <br /><br />Aldo

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Aldo. I need a good warm day to dry things out without the cover on it too.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1996,<br /><br />Changed my Alt Belt on my 96 3.0. The engine did sag a little. The tricky part for me was trying to get the bolts started properly - being careful not to crossthread. Put one bolt in without the spacer. That helped bring the engine back into alignment. Installed the next bolt thru the spacer and into the block, didn't tighten all the way. Removed the first bolt and "swung" the other end of the spacer in place - reinstalled the bolt. <br /><br />Good Luck!<br />Mark

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Texsun. That is good to know too!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your pulleys are rusty, they will also eat up the belt in a hurry and the belt will be slipping again in no time. I normally remove the rusty pulleys, sand, bead blast and paint (let the paint dry for a few days) then with new belts all works well again.

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

That may be a job beyond my skills. I can see getting the alternator off and maybe the pulley with the four bolts, but I am unclear if I could get the main engine pulley off.

Don S

You may have to raise the engine a bit and remove the front motor mount to do the job. A "come-a-long" over a 4X4 and some bracing will hold it while you do the job. It's a bit of work that way, but it's cheaper than sending it to someone like me at $90 an hour to do.<br />Can you get under the engine with a small hydraulic jack or PortaPower to lift the pressure off the front mount. You only need less than an inch to get the weight off the mount.

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

The portable hydraulic jack would end up going through the hull. I when I go to winterize the boat this year, I'll put two fresh belts on. I hope that if we manage to wear them out, we'll need a new boat by then. <br /><br />PS. I'd pay you $90 an hour to do the job by then!<br /><br />Thanks everyone!

gibson981

Recruit

Originally posted by Bt Doctur:<br /> remove the 2 bolts on the right side, remove the spacer, install new belt AND a spare belt(tie out of the way), install bolts and spacer and go have some fun.<br />Deflection should be around 3/4 in.too tight will tear up the water pump or alt bearings.when a belt gets thin it squeals no matter how tight you make it.
Hi folks. Was getting ready to change the drive belt in 97 mercruiser 4.3L and searching some old threads. According to my shop manual (clymer) it recommends 1/4" deflection. The post above uses 3/4". Any consensus on which is more appropriate? Currently the belt has around 1", and squeels alittle when cold. <br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris

Don S

Chris<br />You would be better of starting a new thread than hijacking a 2 month old post to ask your question.<br /><br />PS, Use the Mercruiser recommendations.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have done this many times. Put a block or blocks of wood between the bottom and the oil pan just snug enough to provide some support. No need to raise the engine just support it. Remove the spacer and replace the belt.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Place a 4x4 across the two gunnals/sides of the boat. Front of the block should have an "lifting eye", secure a strong rope from the wood to the "eye", leaving enough slack to run a long pry-bar through the two loops of rope and turn the bar and tighten the rope, If you tighten it enough, you can remove the two bolts and spacer. Install the belts, re-tighten the rope to amend for streching and secure the bolts....Someone once called this a "chinese winch" but I don't know about the terminalogy!!!

shmart2

Cadet

1996 Starcraft- Not a reply to provide tech advice, after reading the posts, I thing you have already received plenty of good advice from more knowledgable folks than me. We had a 1997 Starcraft 1710 that we sold early this past season. We LOVED that boat. The fit and finish were excellent, the gelcoat and vinyl were great. We kept her in the water for 7+ months per season from 1999 to 2003, and all I had to do was use some Easy Off on the hull in the fall or spring and she looked darn near new. We took good care of her and sold her to a friend who had dibbs on her since the first year we had her. That engine may only be a 4-banger but ours moved the boat very well. I always wondered what the best way would be to replace the belt since the mounts are in the way, now I know. We bought a 2001 Sea Ray 240 this year and LOVE her too. We have been having a problem that the good folks here have been most helpful with. I've learned alot. See the above posts under Shmart2 if you are interested. Eric

shmart2

Cadet

1996 Starcraft- Not a reply to provide tech advice, after reading the posts, I thing you have already received plenty of good advice from more knowledgable folks than me. We had a 1997 Starcraft 1710 that we sold early this past season. We LOVED that boat. The fit and finish were excellent, the gelcoat and vinyl were great. We kept her in the water for 7+ months per season from 1999 to 2003, and all I had to do was use some Easy Off on the hull in the fall or spring and she looked darn near new. We took good care of her and sold her to a friend who had dibbs on her since the first year we had her. That engine may only be a 4-banger but ours moved the boat very well. I always wondered what the best way would be to replace the belt since the mounts are in the way, now I know. We bought a 2001 Sea Ray 240 this year and LOVE her too. We have been having a problem that the good folks here have been most helpful with. I've learned alot. See the above posts under Shmart2 if you are interested. Eric

shmart2

Cadet

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Hey Shmart2,<br />Perhaps a little piece of masking tape on your screen to cover up the "back" button will help you remember! ;) :D :D