Tips for changing upper oil seal in Alpha one

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Everyone,
I'm attempting changing the upper oil seal (and check the bearings) in a 1987 alpha one outdrive. Gear oil is leaking into the bellows. I have the spanner wrench and I can tell already that loosening the retainer nut (spanner nut) is going to very difficult. does anyone have any tips for this? It almost seems like it would be easier to chisel it off by breaking it apart and then just replacing the nut.

Anyway, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also, while I'm here, I may as well ask how tricky it is to change this seal. I keep hearing about the shims, but in looking at the diagram, it really doesn't look all that much more complicated than changing out trailer hubs and bearings. Am I wrong about this job?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It is not terribly difficult, but you do need the right wrench for the big nut. You may also need to set the rolling torque with the proper gauge. Depending upon what style you have. Look at the DIY section at the top of the page - then the Mercruiser section. Chris has a good video on that.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you! I actually have an old alpha one with stripped gears laying around. I tinkered with it. The retainer nut wouldn't budge,so, I bent it inward with a chisel and it eventually broke, then the rest came out easily. I took the assembly apart and it is much simpler than I thought in there. Kinda sucks that when I'd stripped the gears, I'd gone and bought another outdrive. I didn't know how easily the gears could've been changed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I have the spanner wrench and I can tell already that loosening the retainer nut (spanner nut) is going to very difficult. does anyone have any tips for this? It almost seems like it would be easier to chisel it off by breaking it apart and then just replacing the nut.

I have never had to chisel one off, use the spanner and coax it with a block of oak.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One other thing... The manual says to torque the retainer nut to 200.. That seems like a lot. Can the retainer nut take that much? Can the housing? Almost seems like it should say "torque the retainer nut until you start to break the fins or the housing explodes"

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I realize this is a little late, but in case you haven't already finished the job, and for future reference - there is a chart that you use to determine the foot pounds. It is actually less than 200 because you measure your torque wrench and use the chart to determine the value.

torque%20chart%20for%20Alpha_zpslegua85s.jpg