tip for the newbies... learned the hard way

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a '47 sea 3hp... statred on the fourth pull... headed out on lake erie and it dies... wound the rope back on and started it back up but a wave hits me and I don't get a full pull on it... the thing starts flying the handle around... breaks off the gas cap... beating my trolling motor up... luckily I avoided injury and managed to get it shut down. Tip... if you have a wind up, make sure you get a good pul on it!
Dave

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: tip for the newbies... learned the hard way

WOW --- Lake Erie and a '47 3hp. Very impressed!

Sounds like a manufacturer liability lawsuit to me! Of course I keep tryingto spill McDonalds coffeee on myself :)

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WOW......I will agree with Fl Richard... I got a 22ft with 180Hp and still have moments where it feels to small for Lake Erie. You got gusto!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

As long as no one was hurt, this will make a great story. Times like these that makes boating fun.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sounds dicey...glad no one was hurt. Also watch the knot on the end of that pull rope when you do get a good pull...they can raise a welt or put an eye out.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I assume you are experienced with old motors and know not to put yourself in a precarious situation if they should fail. Since your post was directed to those new to boating, they should not think they are set after they buy a 60 year old motor!

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

yea it is dicey... I get alot of wows from the 2 old towne canoes I put together for my boat too. :) I've had quite a bit of experince on Erie... always have backup... never had any life threatening situations.... knock on wood... always keep a close eye on the weather.
Dave