Tiny Amount Of Water In Motor Oil

ricky_18

Cadet
Brand new 2006 90HP 4-Stroke. Did the first oil change on it tonight and as soon as i un-screwed the plug between 1 maybe 2 table spoons of milky oil came out and then it was gone and everything else looked fine... First oil change done on the motor since break in im just not sure if this is normal or something i should be concerned about...

thanks in advance

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tiny Amount Of Water In Motor Oil

I am far from 4 stroke outboard expert but condensation is not entirely uncommon in engines with crankcase, but milky oil is far different. I say something is wrong.

BaileysBoat

Condensation/dilution is a common observation, making oil and all that. How many hours and do a lot of trolling?

Cold in Belleville these days. Was the motor well warmed up or did you pull the plug on a cold engine that had been sitting for a month? Only 2 tablespoons is not much water?

Never seen any water in my 4 stroke.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

See "Making Oil" post
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158085

My Merc. 115 collected a little water in the oil after a season's use. Not uncommon. You might be a little over-propped. Make sure you're getting to the upper recommended range at WOT. Usually helps.

ricky_18

Cadet

Condensation/dilution is a common observation, making oil and all that. How many hours and do a lot of trolling?

Cold in Belleville these days. Was the motor well warmed up or did you pull the plug on a cold engine that had been sitting for a month? Only 2 tablespoons is not much water?

Never seen any water in my 4 stroke.

i would say 40-60 but thats hard to say exactly without having it plugged in to a computer. As for trolling maybe 10 hours of trolling...

The motor had been sitting for a couple weeks in the driveway, so i pulled the plug when the engine was cold.

it is getting cold down here but the fishing is starting to get good! (Walleye) i see your from Ottawa. I am there once or twice a month as the girlfriends parents live in Mclarens Landing so when we go there i hit the Ottawa river for some bass and musky fishing.

BaileysBoat

I don't see any problem. Condensation normal, settled out after 2 weeks.

Snowing here tonight. Might see you next spring. Sometimes launch at Ottawa sailing club and cruise to Quyon for fries.