timing problems

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice
o.k heres the deal. i have a johnson 130 '99. i did a service on the motor and put on a power pack and new head gasket. took the boat out for a run and it ran and idled perfect. 2 days later started it up and ran fine off the hose. 3 weeks later started it up and ran fine for 10 mins shut it down because i wanted to adjust the rpms but the motor had no spark on any cyl. i then replaced the stator and timerbase because the old ones tested bad.

now i followed joe reeves post for timing adjustments and i set it at 14 deg. btc. but when i put the boat in the water its hard to start and when it does it idles for 30 sec. and stalls.

now i'm wondering if i should mess with the idle adjustment screw. wich it says in his post would fix itself. or if i'm missing something or just plainly doing something wrong. i just dont understand why it could run so smooth and now runs like crap. thanks in advance!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: timing problems

Lets bump you back to the top again.
This needs an iginition expert, I'm more a fuel guy.:)

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

ok joe reeves told me that i have to disable the s.l.o.w. feature on my motor but have to look at other posts to find out how and i've looked and looked and still havent foud out.

so is there anyone that knows how to diable the s.l.o.w. feature on a 99 johnson 130hp?:confused::(

daselbee

Commander

ok joe reeves told me that i have to disable the s.l.o.w. feature on my motor but have to look at other posts to find out how and i've looked and looked and still havent foud out.

so is there anyone that knows how to diable the s.l.o.w. feature on a 99 johnson 130hp?:confused::(

I believe the truth of the matter is you need to disable Quick Start....not SLOW. Quick Start advances the timing during starting, and will cause your static idle timing to read wrong if you don't disable it first. The procedure is in the manual, I don't have one for a 1999 model.
I will gladly post the procedure for a 1996 model if you want.
I will wait for you to reply.

daselbee

Commander

now i followed joe reeves post for timing adjustments and i set it at 14 deg. btc. but when i put the boat in the water its hard to start and when it does it idles for 30 sec. and stalls.

Also, you have to remember that there are two timing values to worry about...the idle timing, at around 4-6 ATDC and the WOT which you refer to saying you set it for 14* BTDC. The link and sync procedure is a step by step process that should be followed perfectly by the OMC manual, not a Clymer or SELOC.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for your replies.... i'm not sure if this motor has quik start, because before i had THIS problem it never rev'd up rpms when started. unless its already disabled. how can i determine if this is a quikstart motor with out the manual?

also would there really be a need to do a sync and link if i havent done anything to the carbs and this motor ran perfectly b4 this problem.

and yes i'll take a look at the 96 info u have.... thanks

daselbee

Commander

Well, there are going to be some unanswered questions here...I will apologize ahead of time....

Regarding the manual...I have the 1996 OMC service manual which covers the125, 130, 200, 225, 250 HP engines. And it specifically describes QuickStart, how it works, and how to test it.

So, I was scanning looking for the instructions to disable it, and NO the manual does not have instructions. Why???
Well, it occurred to me that Joe Reeves' method of setting the timing is not an OMC procedure, it is one that he devised, and works so well, that everyone has adopted it.

So, I do remember seeing the disable procedure somewhere, and it was probably on this site or MarineEngine.com.

Now, (without the manual) to tell if your engine has QuickStart, I would HAVE to bet that it does if it has a white/black stripe wire from the port temp sensor that connects to a same colored wire coming out of the powerpack. That is the QuickStart sensor line on a 1996 V6. I bet you do have it.
It will also have a yellow/red wire to the pack. It's origin is the starter solenoid.

If I remember right, to disable QuickStart, you disconnect the yellow/red at the pack and ground the pack side (NOT THE SOLENOID SIDE). You also simply disconnect the white/black at the pack and just let it float. This should disable Quickstart and allow you to do Joe's WOT timing adjustment.
And you are right...it would be 14* BTDC for an engine that has the timing spec'ed at 18* BTDC. BE SURE TO VERIFY THE DISABLE PROCEDURE by doing a search here or on MarineEngine.com.

I have posted many times that I test my WOT timing on the water at 5000 rpm, while hanging off the back of the boat. That is the only way I feel that it is exactly right.

Link and sync...if it was OK before, and no stop screws were changed or linkage adjustments have been done...I would figure that it was still OK, and only suspect it as a LAST resort when debugging.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

NOW THATS THE REPLY I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!! Thanks Man!!! sounds like you know your stuff. alright man i'll check out that site. and once i try it i'll let u know the outcome.:D

daselbee

Commander

Well, just be sure to double check what i have said. The thing I am unsure about myself is the grounding of the yellow/red wire. You may get by with just letting it float too.
By the way, if QuickStart is working, you can actuallly see it advance the timing while observing with a timing light. It is all in the OMC book.

Also, remember, this is done with the plugs out, and the plug wires terminated on one of those spark testers....you do not want it starting on you.

Be careful, don't fry that pack....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The heat sensor for the QuikStart is the temperature switch with the extra black and white wire. To disable QuikStart, disconnect the black and white wire and ground the powerpack section of the black and white wire.

Simply disconnecting the wire does nothing unless the engine is already warmed up and QuikStart already released. Each time the engine is restarted, QuikStart will continue to advance the timing unless the powerpack end of the wire is grounded

daselbee

Commander

On much thought, I would like to say that I am just NOT SURE about how to disable QuickStart. I know it has to do with the white/black wire, and the yellow/red wire, but I am just not sure which one to ground and which one to let float.
Very SOORRY.

This is why I just put the boat in and run down the lake at 5000 WOT and set the timing that way.

daselbee

Commander

The heat sensor for the QuikStart is the temperature switch with the extra black and white wire. To disable QuikStart, disconnect the black and white wire and ground the powerpack section of the black and white wire.

Simply disconnecting the wire does nothing unless the engine is already warmed up and QuikStart already released. Each time the engine is restarted, QuikStart will continue to advance the timing unless the powerpack end of the wire is grounded

There ya go, I knew someone would chime in with the right answer...I just could not remember at all.....
Ezeke...no disconnect of the yellow/red required?

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

well thats the thing...i dont think the quikstart feature even works on this motor anyways. and i would take it out and check the timing at wot, but i think the timings to far off to even check it at idle in the water. also what should be the max rpms at 18 deg. btc when i do get it running?

daselbee

Commander

Quote from the 1996 book, page 1-42:
"Run the engine between 4500 and 5000 rpm. Check timing on flywheel grid. The timing pointer (A) must align with the correct degree mark on the flywheel grid. See chart below."

Then the chart specifies a 130 hp motor, with the timing spec to be 18*BTDC plus or minus 1*.

For adjustment, one turn of the adjusting screw CLOCKWISE retards the timing one degree.
One turn of the adjusting screw COUNTERCLOCKWISE advances the timing one degree.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

i just went out a bought a dial indicator. b4 i was just trusting the pointer because i figured it was right since the motor ran so smooth b4, so now i'm going to start off with that tomarrow and go from there. then i'll go try running it, and set the timing out there. i let u know what happens afterwards....thanks alot!!!!

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

ok. now i got the motor running at exactly 18* btdc. but now my idle timing i think is off because i tried to adjust that too, because it was idleing rough,like it was out of time. but when i screw the idle screw all the way in, the pointer is at tdc. it wont allow me to go 4-6* atdc. so i put it back about where i found it and it idles rough.

also what is the max rpms i can run this motor? we had it up to 6000 max with the timing still perfect. but we brought it back down to around 5000 to be safe.

another thing..... why do the rpms tend to rev up on their own? espescially on the hose?

almost done with this boat, this should be the last bit of info i need thanks everybody for getting me this far!!!:D

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your motor has a rev limit of 6,700 RPM controlled by the powerpack - should be # 0584041 or equivalent.

Check the throttle plates for synchronization - it must be exact.

The initial low speed setting for the carburetor needles is 3-1/2 turns.