timing or carb???

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
1999 3L mercruiser serial # 0L631559

from another post i was dealing with starter motors that keep breaking because engine kept kicking back i figured out that the mechanic had put the timing to 10 degrees BTDC on reading the manual it is meant to be 2 degrees ATDC, so i set the timing to the manual specs and it is actually quieter and starts smoother and runs nice,except about 1500rpm it seems to bog down and sometimes will backfire after adding a few more rpm she goes back to normal.
now this is a recon engine that has only done 6 hours and the carb was all reconned as well,i am unsure wether this is carb related or timing still???
i did connect the 2 white wires on the dizzy to put it in service mode and also disconnect shift interuptor switch when i did the timing as the manual says i also checked after tightening that it was still 2 degrees ATDC and it was,so any ideas on the bogging/backfiring

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: timing or carb???

Are you actually putting it into base timing mode properly, setting the timing, then taking it back out of base timing mode properly?

It all has to be done in the right order for it to actually work.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you actually putting it into base timing mode properly, setting the timing, then taking it back out of base timing mode properly?

It all has to be done in the right order for it to actually work.
heres how it was done

number 1 piston at tdc,dizzy cap off rotor pointing at number 1 piston

disconnect shift interuptor switch

connect 2 white wires on dizzy together with a wire

engine already at operating temperature,start engine

turn dizzy till at 2 degrees ATDC using timimg light

tighten up dizzy check timing again

put rpm to 2400 check advance

switch off engine disconnect wire one dizzy connect shift interuptor switch

check timimg again

if i need to do anything different pls let me know

edit.... just checked the manual again can someone pls explain in laymans terms what these wires are and where i connect these wires to (i know where the engine harness is but its already connected but the manual says temporary connect them)
timing-1.jpg

Paul Ryan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm reading that as: Disconnet switch. Harness wires going to switch, join together. Just a staright bypass of the switch. I dont have the 3.0 and have never done what your doing but thats what I'm seeing. I would wait for Don to chime back in.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It means to hook the wires together that you took off the shift interrupt switch. Some people have hooked the wires on the switch itself together, which does nothing.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks don will redo timing 2nite

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don you are a star...
i joined the 2 wires like you said and done everything else i did before and it was like nowhere near what i set it at..so i set it to 2 atdc then disconnected everything blah blah blah went out for a ride and WOW it is like a brand new engine (oops it is lol)

thanks again and may your boating be pleasurable