Timing on a 1977 351W OMC I/O HELP!!

Help! I am trying to set the timing on this I/O and have purchased three different timing lights - none of them are giving me any light at all - i have decided I am stupid, and the lights must work. I have set the wiring up in every way I can think of, and still nothing. I was reading the repair manual, and it talked about getting an adapter, hooking it directly to the spark plug.... I cannot find any adapters, and am going a bit crazy here. Any help woulf ber more than apprecitaed. Thank you!!!<br />Jerry

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Timing on a 1977 351W OMC I/O HELP!!

how are you hooking up the timing light? is your engine running?

i am hooking up the timing light with the red lead on the positive terminal on the battery, the black lead on a good ground on the block, and the pick up lead on the #1 wire - i have tried both batterites, changed the engine ground, used the battery ground, put the test lead on different plug wires...... is it the same basic hookup as a car timing test? thanks for the speedy reply! and yes, the engine is running.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Galloping Ghost:<br /> i am hooking up the timing light with the red lead on the positive terminal on the battery, the black lead on a good ground on the block, and the pick up lead on the #1 wire - i have tried both batterites, changed the engine ground, used the battery ground, put the test lead on different plug wires...... .
and pulled the trigger? Also the pickup goes on ONE way only.<br /><br />Sorry, gotta ask.<br /><br />Aldo

yes, i pulled the trigger - the pick up is the plug wire clamp right? i have tried it every way. still nothing...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Still a wee bit short on details here. Something is missing. Timing lites are not Saturn Rockets. Try one or all of your lites on a different motor. Clamp over the #1 plug wire, Red and black leads to the battery. Start motor. Pull trigger and voila, flashing lite.

Dunaruna

Admiral

The inductive puckup (the thing that clamps on the plug wire) should have an arrow that points TOWARDS the plug, won't work the other way.<br /><br />Saturn rocket is a single cylinder, doesn't need timing :D <br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Saturn rocket is a single cylinder, doesn't need timing :D Aldo
That's the way they should all be. Just light the fuse and gooooooooooo!

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a thought but have you hooked both cables to the battery directly. Also are you sure the plug wire is good?

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You've done everything right. <br /><br />Now pull the #1 plug and hold it with a pair of insulated pliers against the block with the wire hooked up and have someone crank the engine over and see if #1 is working at all. <br /><br />You can also put the pick up on any other wire for testing..... can't time it but you can see if the lights working and plug wires are working.

Ahh tis' a wonderful thing to have a timing light that works!! Thank you all for your lovely replies, and remember, Some things made in the USA don't always work as well as those made overseas...