Timing curve for VP 7.4 with EST ignition

SpineyNole

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta 7.4GL engine with a new EST distributor (the old VP EEM ignition finally died). I have set the base timing per the instructions (10 deg. BTDC when in spark advance lock-out mode). Here's my question: Does anyone have the full timing advance curve for this engine and ignition? I would like to verify that the ignition timing advance is working as designed. Thanks...

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Would guess it's in the upper 30 to lower 40 range. 454 can handle up to 43ish naturally aspirated.

Give it a WOT run and verify timing is advancing and WOT RPM is within the specified range

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
What yr is this 454? Do you know the advance curve your new distributor has?

10 initial plus 24 degrees provided by the dist would be a total of 34 degrees.

454 engines are quite comfortable with 36 degrees total, they are different than small blocks.

Setting a timing curve is merely one part of the process, your carb needs to be trimmed/fuel metered in conjunction with a curve...
Even marine carbs, if you setup a total curve of say 34 degrees do not expect your carb engine to automatically follow suit.

Rich fuel metering requires less timing
Lean mixtures require more.

If you run into issues simply advance or retard the timing to clean up any issue's. If you end up with a curve that seems odd, your carb may well require some attention.

SpineyNole

Cadet
What yr is this 454? Do you know the advance curve your new distributor has?

10 initial plus 24 degrees provided by the dist would be a total of 34 degrees.

454 engines are quite comfortable with 36 degrees total, they are different than small blocks.

Setting a timing curve is merely one part of the process, your carb needs to be trimmed/fuel metered in conjunction with a curve...
Even marine carbs, if you setup a total curve of say 34 degrees do not expect your carb engine to automatically follow suit.

Rich fuel metering requires less timing
Lean mixtures require more.

If you run into issues simply advance or retard the timing to clean up any issue's. If you end up with a curve that seems odd, your carb may well require some attention.
No, I don't know the advance curve for the EST distributor. That was my original question.

SpineyNole

Cadet
I contacted a distributor vendor and he sent me the attached timing advance curve for the marine EST distributor. Total timing would be the base timing value plus the values in the attached curve.EST Dist Spark Advance Curve.png

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would be leery of putting more than 36 degrees into a BB Chevy

tpenfield

Staff member
My recollection is about 28˚ advance (total), starting at the 10˚ base timing advance. Full advance is at about 2500-3000 RPM.

So, your chart is about right (IIRC)

SpineyNole

Cadet
So I spent a lot of time investigating the marine EST ignition timing curve by running the engine in the water under load and measuring the timing with an advance timing light. I also discussed my findings with the EST distributor manufacturer (United Marine). The result is that the EST timing curve given to me earlier (the one I posted earlier in this thread) is totally bogus. It does not represent the true timing advance curve for the EST ignition. When I questioned the manufacturer about this, he mentioned it would probably be a good idea to remove the timing advance curve from the published documentation (LOL, you think so!). I thought it interesting that his solution was to remove the curve, rather than correct it.

As it turns out, the timing curve (at least for the EST ignition module in my distributor - the ACDelco D1965A) is a straight line with no upper limit. It is simply a linear function of RPM with a slope of about 0.00518 degrees of advance per RPM. You have to adjust the base timing such that the total advance at wide open throttle (WOT) is the max total advance that you desire. In my case, the base timing turns out to be 2 degrees BTDC. Note that the published EST base timing for my 7.4L engine is 10 degrees BTDC. A base timing value of 2 degrees BTDC gives me 28 degrees total advance at 4500 RPM. 28 degrees is the highest advance that I can use with 86 octane fuel without misfiring due to predetonation. One can probably use a higher base timing value if you use higher octane fuel.

My conclusion is that one must set the base timing value for the EST ignition such that you achieve the desired maximum timing advance at WOT RPM.

WARNING: There is no timing advance limit built into the EST ignition, i.e. the timing advance curve does not "flatten" at high RPMs. The curve continues to increase at the same rate as RPMs increase without limit. In my mind, that is the biggest takeaway from this exercise.