Timing and throttle adjustments

lvg

Cadet
Engine: 1997 75 Mercury. <br />Problem: Not reaching WOT (3000rpm only)<br /><br />After a lot of focus on the propeller, I decide to look at my carb. Linkage. What I found is the following. The butterfly flaps in the throat of the carbs, were only about 1/3 open at full throttle at the helm. The timing bolt, which has the plastic coating on the threads, was against its stop. The plastic looked like factory original. I can only guess that is has never been tampered/adjusted.<br />The throttle adjustment bolt however, was fully turned-in, against its stop. When I turned it out, the butterfly flaps in the throat of the carbs, opened. I continued this until the butterflies were in horizontal position. The throttle lever at the helm responded as well.<br />Needless to say, I feel like I solved my problem. I didn’t run the engine until I have it set correctly. So here is the question. If I leave the throttle adjustment bolt at its new position, do I have to adjust the timing bolt? What is the synchronization of the two?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Timing and throttle adjustments

Your best bet is start over and do a link & sync and then retime the engine. Your manual will explain it. Reading about it may sound difficult but it ain't. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty