Timing advance marks???

Evinrude 40 HP 89'<br /> Model TE40ELCEC<br /> Serial G 02305364<br /><br /> My manual doesn't say anything about the 2 arrows on either side of the slot in the timing advance cam. The roller that advances the timing rolls in this slot. With my controller centered where should these arrows be in relation to the roller? dead center? top side? bottom side? It is easy to adjust with the timing stop, I just don't know where to put it. Right now the arrows are about an 1/8" under the bottom of the roller. The roller has the clear coating on it.<br /><br /> Any help will be appreciated as always. :confused:

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Timing advance marks???

1990 manual places the roller between the 2 arrows, when the throttle is against the idle throttle stop, only as a starting point for adjusting the linkage.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clanton has answered the question.............

I know clanton has told me where to start from,I thought I could set it somewhere and that would be it. The only reference to adjusting timing in my seloc manual is for adjusting full advance. If you start with the roller between the arrows,why would you have to move it? What condition would dictate adjustment of this setting? :confused:

SCO

Lieutenant

hello bad,<br /><br />I think you can determine this by trial and error, but Ill tell you how the arrows are used on my 73 omc v4. I would set the center of the roller across from the low speed arrow(this apparently would be centered between the arrows in your case), and would adjust the throttle flapper to be fully closed at that point. I would then get a timing light and set the idle at the engine specified advance (5 deg in my engine) with the idle stop screw( really a timing advance screw). I would then stop the engine and adjust another linkage(throttle cam yoke)so that the roller is centered on the low speed arrow(between the 2 arrows apparently in your case, and this adjustment did not change the timing I just set previously). This has done the following: synched the closed throttle to 5 deg advance when the roller is centered at the low speed arrow(between the 2 arrows apparently in your case). <br /><br />Forgive me if this is way off, but the logic of the procedure may also apply to your engine.

Thanks SCO. Is this process covered in detail in the omc manual? I have a seloc and it leaves alot to be desired. It covers J/E 1971-89. Maybe the 90-? manual would have been better.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have the OMC and Clymer manuals for my motors. I highly recommend getting the OMC manual specific to your motor. The gereric manuals are just that.

Does any one know what the timing should be set at at idle? My timing light is a snap on with an advance, when I turn the advance the indication on the flywheel doesn't move as many degrees as I turn the advance, it only moves about half as many. I have been using it set to zero but am wondering if zero is zero. Is there any way to test it?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I wonder if a two cycle engine and a four cycle timing light might have something to do with that?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

clanton

Rear Admiral

Set the snapon light on 0. 2 stroke fires 2 times for each crankshaft rpm, 4 stroke fires 1 time for 2 crankshaft rpms. Idle timing should be about 3 degrees +- 2 degrees, you dont adjust to these numbers, after a complete link/sync, this is where the timing should be. If idle timing off linkage is not correctly adjusted. The roller has to be centered between the 2 marks, the timing linkage rod the correct length, for the idle timing to be correct. This from a 1990 OMC manual, which has 42 steps and 13 photos. My scanner not working.

Hey clanton, thanks. Right now the idle timing is at -4 deg. I'll try it again tomorrow. I didn't know if I could trust the light, and thought I might be shooting in the dark ;) .<br /><br /> This is what I intend to do tomorrow.<br /><br /> 1. Disconnect throttle cable.<br /> 2. Disconnect carb. linkage.<br /> 3. align roller in timing cam slot with arrows using low speed stop.<br /> 4. Start, check idle timing adjust to 3 deg. using linkage between advance plate and arm.<br /> 5. Adjust linkage to throttle cam and carb roller to line up on mark.<br /> 6. Check full advance setting on the water at 3500 rpm. adjust to 19 deg.<br /> Note: I already have the 2 carbs adjusted with both throttle plates closed.

Got timing set. Running 200% better but still not quite right at Idle. It dies when left idling for about 5 min. It never stalls when shifting so I can live with it although I'll probably keep tinkering. Ended up with idle timing set at 1 deg., this was the best I could do and keep the full advance where it needed to be. Thanks a MILLION clanton. :cool:

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hmmm.. Hootie you nailed it again..