Timeing on Johnson

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 200, 2000 Johnson, has Carbs. I want to ckeck or reset timing on it. I feel it is off due to shop that sold it to me. It had a small fuel leak and they never found it. You guys did! I read in manual that you are suppose to have it in water. For back pressure. ANY way to do this with out going to lake??? Or something simple at home??? And what do you really have to adjust for timing ?? I can see what book shows, but I know there is another way, with out fourteen adjustments.. I use to be auto tech. So I have tools... Thanks David C

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timeing on Johnson

Engine performance depends on the accuracy of ignition timing and carb link n sync. If he replaced major power head components, or disturbed the timing pointer, the pointer should be re checked against the Top Dead Centre mark on the flywheel.

1. Disconnect the spark plug leads and remove plugs.

2. Temporarily set timing pointer mid way in its adjusting slot. There is a piston stop assembly tool that you can use in number 1 cylinder hole but there are other homemade tools you can use such as bored out old spark plugs with a stop in them. Anyways, install the tool, or whatever, and turn the flywheel clockwise until the piston contacts the end of tool. Adjust the tool to the proper setting (as per your manual) and lock it.

3. Mark a line on rim of flywheel adjacent to timing pointer. Now turn flywheel counterclockwise until the piston contacts the tool. Mark a line on the rim of the flywheel opposite pointer.

4. Using a scale or tape measure, measure the mid point between the two lines. Mark the mid point line on the rim of the flywheel. If the mid point line and the cast in TDC mark on the flywheel are in agreement, the timing pointer alignment is correct. If not, turn the flywheel to align the mid point mark with pointer (hold flywheel in this position). Loosen pointer adjustment screw and move pointer to align with cast in TDC mark on flywheel. Tighten adjustment screw.

5 . Check timing with a timing light on spark plug wire number 1 as per the manual you have. Ill assume you have those directions in there, but if not just ask and someone will be able to help you out.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They (old shop) didn't move the pointer. I know they moved something but not pointer. I was watching and they moved the advance I'm sure. They did this to adj idle up. It had a hard start problem. Leaking fuel line. I just want to get it right. I was curious about back pressure, when setting timing. The manual said to make sure it was in water .Or make sure of some device to replace water pressure, on exhaust.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Timing on Johnson

Please tell me, where to get a piston stop. Or some home made one. I have a Mic. with a built in depth guage. This would work,wouldn't it? Oh by the way I'm not much on sea language. Port on left or right,seating in seat. #1 plug ? Thanks David C

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If they changed the idle timing but did not move the timer base stop screw the wot timing did not change. The timer base stop is that screw that the timer base hits to stop the travel when the throttle is advanced. The screw has a rubber cap on it. Starboard side just below the flywheel. There should be some orange silicone type material on it. If that material hasn't been disturbed then the wot timing hasn't been moved.

Port & starboard are always refered to when looking toward the bow. Port & left both have 4 letters and are the same (when looking forward).

The #1 plug on all OMC / BRP motors is always the top (highest) plug. Your's is the top plug on the starboard side.

We use a motorcycle timing tool to find TDC. Simply a dial indicator that screws into a spark plug hole. Bring the #1 piston to the top, find TDC and set the pointer. I believe that pointer should have that orange stuff on it too.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank You for info. I still need question answered about back pressure?. Do I have to put in lake or is there another way??? Thanks David C

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can check it on land. Unhook the throttle linkage and advance the timing only. If you're looking for 18*, set it at 14*. Be sure to double check it when it's under a load in the water. You can do it with the boat backed down the ramp and the drive submerged enough to get the pump under water. Put it in gear and follow it thru at least 4500.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for INFO.. I do appreicate it.... Thanks Again ........ David C