Time for a Repower what to get?

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like I may have enough money to repower the boat. I am looking for a 50hp for my bay boat. I think every one makes a ok motor today but what should I get? Motors cost so much more then they used to and requrire a lot more maintace then they used to. I would perfer something I can winterize and do some work on or something that doesn't requrie 3 trips to the dealer a year. Looking for your 2 cents.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Time for a Repower what to get?

Looks like I may have enough money to repower the boat. I am looking for a 50hp for my bay boat. I think every one makes a ok motor today but what should I get? Motors cost so much more then they used to and requrire a lot more maintace then they used to. I would perfer something I can winterize and do some work on or something that doesn't requrie 3 trips to the dealer a year. Looking for your 2 cents.

Are you looking to buy new ???
You may get better response in a different section. maybe one of the mod's will move this to a more suitable spot.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

New or used?

I don't agree that they need more maintenance compared to old motors, electronic ignition makes them more reliable.

All the mfg's makes great engines in your HP range.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Hands down get an Evinrude ETEC. No trips to the dealer for maintenance for the first 3 years, no break in period required and best of all it can winterize itself!

There was a 5 way comparison done awhile back with most of the new 50hp models and the new 4-strokes and the etec are the best available. If you search on this forum you should find a link to the test.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

From what I hear, E-tec motors are a good investment.
No personal experience though. Still using my "New" 1985 140 hp looper.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Not really enough information to make a true recommendation but modern DFI two-stroke OB's are going to have WAY less maintenance than a carbed two stroke. You'll get three years out of an E-tec without a dealer visit.