Tilt Tube maintenance

Scott2020

Cadet
My steering is good, and I'd like to grease it after 10 years to keep it that way. The cable comes in from the starboard side and there isn't room to remove it enough to get to the rod. I don't want to life the engine. The port side nut has no tube threads coming through and I don't think the tube can come through the nut. I'd like to remove the port nut, extend the rod, grease it, and put the nut & O ring back on.
Problem is that the tube turns with the port nut and I don't know how to get a grip on the tube without damaging the starboard side threads. Looking for your suggestions please.

airshot

Rear Admiral
On mine, I just turn motor all the way one direction and coat with light grease, then turn all the way the other way and do the same. Work it back and forth and good to go. Mine also has a grease fitting in the middle.

Scott2020

Cadet
On mine, I just turn motor all the way one direction and coat with light grease, then turn all the way the other way and do the same. Work it back and forth and good to go. Mine also has a grease fitting in the middle.
Thanks for the reply airshot. On mine, the O ring in the nut just wipes the grease off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the reply airshot. On mine, the O ring in the nut just wipes the grease off.
What motor are we talking about?

Most have a grease fitting in the middle of the tilt tube to grease the rod.

I have a “steering Guard” on mine which has a lube port plus o-rings to seal the tube from water intrusion. Screws on the starboard side.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you have one of those fittings on the steering rod end that wipes the grease off, remove it, run the cable all the way out, and wipe it off. Now regrease with marine grease or Quicksilver special lube 101, which is made specifically for steering rod. Now run the steering thru it's travel.

Repeat a few times until the grease is clean. Regrease and reinstall the seal.

Do yourself a favor and grease everything that can be greased at least once/season. If the steering swivel pin bushings get corroded, and the steering gets harder and harder, it will be a nasty repair.

Scott2020

Cadet
What motor are we talking about?

Most have a grease fitting in the middle of the tilt tube to grease the rod.

I have a “steering Guard” on mine which has a lube port plus o-rings to seal the tube from water intrusion. Screws on the starboard side.
A 2013 Mercury 90 Four stroke. The grease fitting in the middle doesn't go through to the tilt tube. The grease only gets to the gap between the swivel bracket and the transom bracket.

Scott2020

Cadet
If you have one of those fittings on the steering rod end that wipes the grease off, remove it, run the cable all the way out, and wipe it off. Now regrease with marine grease or Quicksilver special lube 101, which is made specifically for steering rod. Now run the steering thru it's travel.

Repeat a few times until the grease is clean. Regrease and reinstall the seal.

Do yourself a favor and grease everything that can be greased at least once/season. If the steering swivel pin bushings get corroded, and the steering gets harder and harder, it will be a nasty repair.
That's exactly what I'd like to do. Unfortunately the port side cap nut with O ring is tight on the threaded tilt tube and when I turn the nut, The whole tilt tube turns. Some how I need to hold the tilt tube while I turn the nut.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A jam nut might hold the tilt tube in place. Alternatively, smacking the port cap with a dull, cold chisel, might break it loose.

If it is really a problem, cut the port cap with a Dremel and crack it with a chisel, and replace it.

Scott2020

Cadet
A jam nut might hold the tilt tube in place. Alternatively, smacking the port cap with a dull, cold chisel, might break it loose.

If it is really a problem, cut the port cap with a Dremel and crack it with a chisel, and replace it.
I can't get the steering cable off the tube to get a jam nut on.
I think I'm left with holding the threaded starboard end of the tube with channel locks or vice grips. What's a good way to protect the threads? If I damage them, I'm in trouble deep.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, if you put a wrench on both nuts, one of them should unscrew. That solves 1/2 your issue. If the port cap unscrews, you are good.

You could lift the motor a bit and pull the tilt tube out (use a wrench and wiggle it). Then a pipe wrench just inside of the threads should hold. The pipe wrench marks should sand out.