tilt/ trim

scott68

Seaman
1984 johnson 70
my trim just quit, no problems leading up to it not working, just stopped. is there any way to check the relays or to get power to the solenoid to try and narrow the problem down?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: tilt/ trim

I don't know anything about your particular tilt/trim setup..but a few questions...

1. Does is sound like the motor is trying to do something and not...or not noise at all from it?

If nothing...have you diagnosed the electric circuit? Switches have been know to go bad.

If motor making noise, check the fluid level.

I am sure someone else will come by with more knowledge...sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

-JMW

scott68

Seaman

it just clicks at the relay. it seems as there are 2 relays side by side, is this correct? it seems as only 1 is responding as one side it feels stronger on the case by touching when the switch is pressed if this makes any sense??!!

craig mac

Cadet

Hi there, i think i might be able to help, because i have the same problem with mine tilt and trim right now!!!

Firstly renew both the relays, and see if it works then, if not try this Electrical Check( i went through it all )

First off check the manual release valve. If good, check the 20 amp inline fuse at the solenoid, it controls the up function. Rest the motor on the trail lock and check the oil resevoir level. Determine if electric motor is even running. Here is a test for the electrical.

1. Make sure battery is FULLY charged.

2. With a voltmeter, connect red lead to point E1 in junction box and meter black lead to point G. Meter should indicate battery voltage.

3. If no voltage is indicated, move meter red lead to poiint E2 on solenoid. If battery voltage is indicated check FUSE in junction box. If no voltage, check red and black leads to battery for poor connection or open circuit. Polish them up, no corrosion, dirt, rust, etc...

DOWN CIRCUIT

1. Move red meter lead to point E3 in junction box, push trim switch in the down position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, test motor.

2. If no voltage is indicated at point E3, move meter red lead to trim switch at point E4 and meter black lead to point G1. Push trim switch in down position. If meter indicates battery voltage, lead is open between point E3 and E4.

3. If no voltage at point E4, move meter red lead to point E5 in trim switch. If battery voltage is indicated, trim switch may be defective.

4. If no voltage is indicated at point E5, check continuity of ground lead from trim gauge G1 to junction box point G. If ground lead is good, move meter red lead to junction box at point E1 and meter black lead to point G on junction box. If battery voltage is indicated, lead is open between E1 and E5.

UP CIRCUIT

1. Connect voltmeter red lead to junction box at point E6 and meter black lead to ground at point G. Push trim switch up. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, test motor.

2. If no voltage is indicated at point E6, move meter red lead to point E7 on solenoid. Push trim switch in up position. If voltage is indicated, blue lead is open between E6 and E7.

3. If no voltage is indicated at E7, move meter red lead to point E8. Push trim switch in up position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, connect meter red lead to point E2 on solenoid. If battery voltage id indicated, solenoid is DEFECTIVE and must be replaced.

4. If no voltage is indicated at point E8 on solenoid, move meter red lead to point E9 and meter black lead to ground at point G1 on trim gauge. Push trim switch in up position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If battery voltage is indicated, lead is open between E8 and E9.

5. If no voltage is indicated at E9, move meter red lead to point E5 on trim switch. If voltage is indicated, switch is defective and must be replaced.

6. If no voltage is indicated at E5, check continuity of ground lead between trim gauge G1 to G in junction box for open circuit.

7. If ground lead is good and no voltage at E5, move meter red lead to E1 in junction box. If voltage is indicated, lead is open between E5 and E1.

TRIM INDICATOR CIRCUIT

1. Connect voltmeter ted lead to point E10 on indicator gauge and black lead to G1 on indicator gauge. If battery voltage is indicated, proceed to step 4.

2. If no voltage indicated at E10, move meter red lead to horn at point E11. Battery voltage indicated lead is open between horn and trim indicator gauge.

3. If no voltage, move meter red lead to point E12 on key switch. Battery voltage should indicate. If no, check key switch. If key switch good, check engine fuse and lead to key switch for open circuit.

4. Disconnect tan/white lead from "S" terminal of trim gauge. Connect ohmmeter to disconnected lead "ohm1" and to G1.

With the motor in the full trim position, ohmmeter should read 82 to 88 ohms. With the motor in full tilt, ohmmeter should read 0 to 10 ohms. If infinite reading check for open circuit between trim gauge "G" terminal and "G" in junction box. Also check for open circuit in tan/white lead with lead disconnected from "S" gauge terminal. Check between "ohm 1" and point "ohm 2" in junction box. Disconnect both black sending unit leads from "ohm2" and "G" terminals. Check for above resistance readings. If not within specs, replace sending unit.

After we checked all these, we have had to order a new motor, which we now believe will work!!

But be warned if it is similar to the position of my motor, then the brackets are a nightmare to get off, watch the bolts dont snap,

If its any help try and find my thread in the "repair and maintenence" its starts with "new to Forum........." and follow this as i keep being updated with regards to T&T

scott68

Seaman

i just got done checking the relays with the voltmeter and they are good, the connectors were done according to my SELOC manual as your post shows but i will check the selonoid and fuse next as soon as i figure it out from the manual. it also shows a different configuation of the junction box in the manual in which i don't have the fuse.