Tilt/Trim Unit CSI at 1991 90 HP Johnson

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going on in the forensic work while removing my PTT, I'll try to figure ou what this here is, as there is no description in the Seloc manual and the OEM is still on it's way.<br /><br /><br />
tilthandle1.jpg
<br /><br />this is on starboard outside of the transom ? bracket<br /><br />
tilthandle2.jpg
<br />this is the inside.<br /><br />the motor has a clamp (tilt trail lock ?) that if pulled down prevents the enging from tilting down. The starboard part of the clamp hits this part. Its quite rotten and I just got it loose a litte bit.<br />This is NOT the angle adjusting rod that was mentioned by J.Reeves in one post ?<br /><br />I would assume this angle adjusting rod to go thru one of the 6 holes in the lower part of the bracket (I dont have any rod there)<br /><br /><br />And secondly, in several posts how to swing the PTT forward (e.x. OBJ and a 86 Johnson) I found that after hammering out the Tilt Cylinder Pin<br />(what I nearly have) there should be several screws (6) from the transom side that should be unscrewed. I have none of those screws<br />(It's a pontoon, so I should see them easily?)<br /><br />thanks for any ideas about those 2 items.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt/Trim Unit CSI at 1991 90 HP Johnson

In the first picture, thats' the little handle that is supposed to flip out the trail latch. If it don't move, it must be froze up. The second picture is the trail latch.<br /><br />Your TNT unit is held in at the top by the tilt pin and at the bottom by a long pin held in place by retaining rings. This pin should be at the very bottom of the transom bracket. Knock it out and the TNT unit should fall out. NO bolts holding your unit in.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tilt/Trim Unit CSI at 1991 90 HP Johnson

Thanks OBJ,<br /><br />I just received the Johnson Manual :) <br />now off to some reading. I got the PTT to move forward after the upper Pin was out.<br />(The lower one is stuck, even with my new hammer.)<br />And you were right, no screws.<br /><br />But I could remove the tilt motor.<br /><br />Now as this is dissambled, (rotten, cable off) on to the next adventure<br /><br />Than