Tilt Trim Relay box

paul2112

Seaman
I have a '79 Kingfisher boat with '76 85hp Johnson on it and am redoing the tilt trim section.. In the manual it shows a relay wired up to it, but is there a tilt/trim relay box that is supposed to be there. Found this one off a newer 2 wire system... Thanks again

Attachments

• tilt box (Medium).JPG
    tilt box (Medium).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tilt Trim Relay box

If you have the origional tilt trim for that motor it is a three wire system. blue to run it up as in toward the sky, green to run it down like toward the grass (I have also seen red used here) and a common black wire to use as a ground. If you do not have the origional relay box they are somewhat hard to come by. On my motor I used two 40 amp motor cycle starter relays and fastened them to inside the cowl onto the starboard side of the motor. I have a later model wiring harness and had to cut it use the tilt trim switch at the controls. Power to the relays comes from the battery where it attaches to the starter. The tilt trim switch activates the relays which sends power to the tilt trim motor. The motor spins one way for up, another way for down.