tilt/trim question

DKennimer

Seaman
Hello all,

My tilt/trim is working fine, but when I'm going at full throttle I'm not able to trim the motor up, it's as if there's not enough pressure to lift it. What could it be... bad seal maybe???

Thank you in advance!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt/trim question

No, the trim range is only around 15 degrees, that's as far as the trim rams go. Once you are out of that range, the tilt is all that you have and it is not designed to offset the thrust of the motor at speed.

DKennimer

Seaman

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm not able to trim it up at all when going on plane. If I start out with it just barely trimmed up and hit the throttle off the hole-shot it slams the motor down... even if I just have it trimmed up an inch or two...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Then either your battery is not fully charged, the wiring is too weak, or you need to add fluid to the pump.

Start by adding fluid and making sure to get any air out of the system.

Raise the motor and support it;
Add fluid until it runs out of the fill hole.
Close the plug tightly.
Release the motor and cycle it up and down several times.

Repeat the process three times.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

might try bleeding it and making sure it has enough fluid, before you started thinking about replacing a bad seal.....

is there fluid showing around the unit??

plus make sure the manual relaese isnt opened at all
bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Recessed screw in the starboard transom bracket. Don't use it unless you have to. If you do, don't turn it out more than two full turns.

You can usually raise the motor hydraulically with a little help from you without resorting to the manual release.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Then either your battery is not fully charged, the wiring is too weak, or you need to add fluid to the pump.

Start by adding fluid and making sure to get any air out of the system.

Raise the motor and support it;
Add fluid until it runs out of the fill hole.
Close the plug tightly.
Release the motor and cycle it up and down several times.

Repeat the process three times.

ezeke...I was reading that if he had some trim set and he pulled a hole shot the props pressure would actually push the motor all the way in..AGAINST the hydraulic system of the trim unit..

meaning his trim works as long as there isnt any significant force on the system( static)....

that is different than the trim motor and sytem NOT being able to trim out while under power...

wouldnt you think?

bob

DKennimer

Seaman

Bob, what you said is exactly what's happening. I just checked the manual screw, it's all the way in. Which screw is the fill port?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Large slotted screw on the front of the resevoir.

Hopefully you are simply low of fluid. If not we can troubleshoot from there.

RRitt

Captain

historically, most people who post this problem turn out to have manual tilt. Have you researched to make sure that your system is Tilt and Trim versus just tilt?

DKennimer

Seaman

It looks like I'm low on fluid. Do I just fill it at the port on the front of the cyl.?

DKennimer

Seaman

historically, most people who post this problem turn out to have manual tilt. Have you researched to make sure that your system is Tilt and Trim versus just tilt?

How would I tell this? I have a 1988 Skeeter SF175SX with a 1982 Evinrude 150. It looks like it would be tilt and trim...

RRitt

Captain

How would I tell this? I have a 1988 Skeeter SF175SX with a 1982 Evinrude 150. It looks like it would be tilt and trim...

does your engine have two short rams that push and one long ram in the middle that can both push and pull? If so, then it is a Trim and Tilt system. The two short push rods are trim and the long cylinder is tilt. If this doesn't sound like your system then post a picture or a link to a parts diagram.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you think Auto Zone would have this fluid?

My first choice would be the BRP tilt n trim fluid.....short of that, you can use ATF Dexron III, they will have that at autozone.

Follow Ezekes advice for filling it.

DKennimer

Seaman

So I added some fluid, it held about 3 more oz. Do you think that little of fluid loss would cause this issue?