Tilt trim question

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 77 85HP evinrude. TNT unit has 2 cylinders, one on either side of the transom Bracket. Is this indeed a tilt and trim unit? The port cylinder has a sending unit on it that is not conected anywhere. How would I hook a gauge to this setup? If this does not have trim, is there a good aftermarket addon to get trim.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help<br />You guys are the best.<br />Mark

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt trim question

This is a tnt but an after market unit is very costly.<br /><br />An OMC manual for your motor will the wiring for this unit. All good section on repair.<br /><br />good luck

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Clymers manual that is very vague on the wiring....I would imagine that the wire coming from the trim cylinder goes to the sender and the just ground the other stud and that should be that...of course hook up the 12vdc.<br /><br />Would this be correct<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mark

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

mine has the same black wire, disconnected of course, but this setup was transferred to the boat and the boat doesn't have a trim gauge so I suspect that's why it's not going to anything. it is TNT like Larry said, it should raise slowly then hit a point where it raises quicker

hinklemarine

Cadet

if you want to hook up a trim guage, you will need a trim sending unit which i am sure yours doesnt have. this unit will mount under the midsection, you might have to make some holes to put the screw in, but you can make it work...

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hinkle,<br /><br />I do have a trim sending unit...it is a single black wire coming off the port cylinder...it looks to be some sort of magnetic pick up that works with a slide coil inside the cylinder. I was just verifying the way that it needs to be hooked up since my manual is vague on the subject.

Goldfish

Seaman

I have the same TnT assembly as you do. All you need is a gauge that will work with a johnson/evinrude tilt unit. You do not need a trim sender! simply run a wire from the brass post on the trim cylinder to the back of your gauge. Put +12 and ground to the gauge and it will work :)

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK...Maybe this is me. I tried a resistance check from the stud on the port cylinder to ground with the motor in several different positions. Always read an open. Removed the sending unit checked resistance from stud to ball...good. Looks to me that ball does not come in contact with coil inside cylinder...Should it. If it should it doesn't look like the sending unit is long enough. Is the sending unit broken? Does anyone have a picture of one? So many questions ...so little time. This is going to make me crazy.

JeffPeiten

Cadet

I think I have the same ugly looking TnT but it will not hold a trim setting under a power load. It also droops down when tilted up. It takes about 30 mins to droop all the to the down position. What could be wrong with my TnT unit? It does not leak fluid anywhere and has been filled with fluid and bled..<br /><br />PLease help!<br /><br />Jeff

JeffPeiten

Cadet

I think I have the same ugly looking TnT but it will not hold a trim setting under a power load. It also droops down when tilted up. It takes about 30 mins to droop all the to the down position. What could be wrong with my TnT unit? It does not leak fluid anywhere and has been filled with fluid and bled..<br /><br />PLease help!<br /><br />Jeff

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine would not trim in water. I needed to get a oring kit and rebuild the trim(Portside) cylinder. ishopmarine has the kits for $12. As for the tilt cylinder. The fluid must be going back into the pump...actually probably the same for both cylinders. I am sure they sell pump kits...Probably bad valve or something of that nature. Is the unit serviced? The manual says to run it up and down 6 or 7 times and then to service it with approved fluid in the full up position. Hope this helps.

JeffPeiten

Cadet

Mark,<br /><br />Thanks for the info! Do you have a part # for the O ring set? Also, did you do anything to the valve body?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jeff

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

www.ishopmarine.com for parts lists and ordering. Search for your model and year. Will yours trim in water and then bleed off? All of your problem may be in the valve assy. And no, I didnt have to mess with that.

JeffPeiten

Cadet

it will droop either in or out of water. It cant hold a firm position. Kinda bummed about it...<br /><br />Jeff