tilt/trim pump leaking

pete42

Cadet
Hi. Have a 87 Searay Seville with a 3.0 litre inline 4 cyl. Drive is a Mercruiser Alpha One. It seems that my tilt/trim pump is leaking. It is an "all in one" unit with clear resovoir. It has good level on fluid. It has fluid underneath the pump that is not engine oil. My main concern is the resovoir on the pump is "loose" ..(you can move it freely by hand)Also,does the cap on the resovoir need to be tight? I heard that it needs to be "snug" to allow for system to breath... Is this normal? ..Otherwise had the boat 3 years with no tilt/trim problems to speak...Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: tilt/trim pump leaking

The Tank has Separated from the Pump Body.....<br />It can be Reassembled......<br />And, Yes, Snug is just Right......

pete42

Cadet

Thanks Bondo...I have a Clymer manual for my boat..I know I will have to remove the pump to fix the loose resovoir...I will place my drive in the "full in" position..Pump out all fluid in resovoir..Unhook lines to resovoir...Unbolt 2? bolts to take it out...Does this sound right? Thanks again all...This is a great site and if it wasnt I would be banging the manual against my head! (The Clymer is a GOOD manual though...thank goodness!) :D

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

See if you have a single screw on the underside of the resovoir.If you do the resovoir may have a crack.There is a new style kit available that has a new tank and valve body.I did one yesterday and it took less than an hour to do.