Tilt &Trim problem on 120hp Johnson

ET1

Recruit
I have a 1990 Johnson 120HP and I need a schematic (not a wiring diagram)of the wiring for the tilt and trim circuits. The motor won't run unless I jumper the circuit in the relay box, then the motor runs fine - up and down. I suspect a missing or corroded ground wire connection but I don't know the color codes or where the connections are made. I have a wiring diagram but it's no help because the color codes can't be followed to their source or origin.

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt &Trim problem on 120hp Johnson

On the control wiring, Blue is up, Green is down, red is hot.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Going to Johnson Troubles.

Walker

Captain

Test the red wire coming into the control box with a voltmeter. Then test it again while pushing the trim switch either up or down. I've worked on 2 of those 120's where the power wire (red) to the trim circuits was bad. Got a reading of 12.8v static but when the switch was pushed volts dropped down in the 8's

ET1

Recruit

Thanks to those who offered advice. This was my first post and I think I put it in the wrong place but I'm glad you folks found it.<br /><br />LJG Walker, I think you're right. That's exactly how it's acting. That's why I was hoping to find a schematic so I could tell where the connection and/or splices are made. The problem is so intermittent, when it doesn't work, neither the T&T switch on the throttle handle nor the T&T switch on the lower engine cowl works. <br /><br />I think I'll have to start breaking the harnesses open to trace the wires. Sure hate to do that but ......