Tilt & Trim ? on 87 50hp Johnson.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone !! I have a 87 50hp Johnson VRO and the tilt and trim have slowly started to drift down on me. It Drifts very slowly in both the tilt and trim positions, There is no sign of oil leaks.Is there an adjustment I can make or is this a rebuild Thing?

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt & Trim ? on 87 50hp Johnson.

On my '89 40 if I just touch the down button after trimming or tilting up it will stay in place. Otherwise it will drift down. I'm sure it needs repaired, but haven't had the time yet. Someone said on this forum that it isn't that hard to rebuild tilt/trim.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ED! Just thought that someone would have a tip or trick to help me out. Still open for suggestions (before a rebuild) Thanks again, SKELLY.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Could I have air in the system, and if so what is the procedure for getting it out. Thanks for the Help!!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

First thing to do is check your manual release screw on the starboard side of the T&T unit. It will be a large slotted screw. Make sure it is tight. Might even put some liquid soap/water mixture around the screw to be sure it's not leaking. If this is OK, raise the lower unit up and remove the fill screw at the top of the T&T. Top off the fluid as nessesary. Replace the screw loosely and cycle the unit up and down 4 or 5 times. Check the fluid level again and top off. Repeat this one more time and then tighten down the fill screw and see if it helps. If not, it is an internal problem with the T&T unit and will require dissassembly to repair.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the Input Rick!