Tilt/Trim lower unit down, but not up

golver

Seaman Apprentice
Need some help, but first a little history.<br />Replaced the tilt/trim pump on a 81 Wellcraft V20 140HP mercruiser. New button/wiring harness with the pump too.<br /><br />The day I put it in, I filled the resevoir till fluid came out the vent hole. The pump seemed to work fine, the outdrive would go up and down without a problem. Only worked it up and down a few times. Add some more fluid after.<br /><br />Then I noticed it started moving slower and slower. The last time I lower it, it lowered very slow. Now it won't go up.<br /><br />I disconnected the rams from the lower unit and I am able to raise and lower the drive easily. With the rams disconnected I tried to raise them, but they did not extend. When I lowered them I noticed one ram did move in a little. The motor sounds like it is working and trying to move it, but it just doesnt move.<br /><br />Any ideas? I would love to get this boat in the water this year.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Tilt/Trim lower unit down, but not up

Try cracking the lines open, just enough to let the air bleed out. If air is still in the lines or cylinders it will compress and not go anywhere.

Bondo

Staff member

Is it Full of Oil Now,..???<br /><br />Like Zach says,.... Crack loose some lines,+ See If,+ Where the Oil is Moving........<br /><br />Maybe this Pump has Issues Too.....

golver

Seaman Apprentice

Disconnect the lines at the rams? or anywhere there is a bolt?

Bondo

Staff member

Well,..............<br /><br />Hopefully there'll be Oil Spraying All Over Everything,..................<br /><br />Working Outside of the boat will be Easier to Clean Up............... ;) <br /><br />But,... Any Nut, at Any Junction will Tell you if Oil is there.......

paultek6

Cadet

Most likely your cylinders are binding up .There is a sliding sleeve in them that tends to get corroded.If you disconect them at drive end and try to turn shaft going into cylinder and it wont turn you need them rebuilt or new ones.This is typical of older boats .Also make sure the drive is down and cylinders closed up then fill your fluid and work it up and down and keep topping off they are self bleeding .Your oil level should be at full mark with drive down.<br /> Paul