Tilt/Trim limit switch wire 'replacement'-1986 Merc 170

jnaarnold

Seaman
I just bought a 1986 SeaRay Seville with a Mecr. 170hp engine. I am wanting to run new wire to the tilt trim limit switch and guage potentiometer, as the are coroded. It looks as though there is a pass through behind the outdrive assy. It has two 1/4x20 (7/16" bolt heads). I can get to one of them but not the other....whats the trick? Any help would be great. Thanks.
John

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tilt/Trim limit switch wire 'replacement'-1986 Merc 170

whats the trick?

Ayuh,........

Pull the Drive,+ then the Gimbel Housing..........

jnaarnold

Seaman

WOW!!!......is that a big job? Any special tools required?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the Drive,+ then the Gimbel Housing..........

Somehow I think bondo ment to pull the Drive and bellhousing and bellows from the gimal housing Then you can get to the wiring fitting.

PS Here is the link to download a free OEM service manual. You need #6 for your outdrive. Then look at section 4A for the procedures to do the repair you want.
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf

MercTerminology-1.png

jnaarnold

Seaman

How are you guys pulling these? Just take the bolts out from the front and use something to support the housing? Or do you completely remove it?
John

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW!!!......is that a big job?

How much free time do you have?;) J/K Won't take too much. Like a weekend type job or less if you stay with it.

Any special tools required?

Hinge Pin Tool- to remove the hinge pins located behind the sender unit(s) where those corroded wires connect to. Alignment tool to align the drive to the engine for when you put the drive back on. Everything else, you can wing it. Might be a good time to replace bellows and hoses while you have it all apart, you'll see what kind of condition they are really in when you pull the drive. And anything else I may have forgotten already...

jnaarnold

Seaman

ugggh....
so, tell me, the left side trimithing, label T.L., what is that one for? Also, the right side one is labeld T.P., what is that...? Thanks again guys...
John

Last edited:

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TL = Trim Limit
TP = Trim Position

I'll let a more experienced user explain what they actually do if you can't find out from search. Been on the water all day and about to bed here.

Don S

The trim limit switch allows you to trim the drive out to a certain height (See manual) using the trim switch. To go higher, and tilt the drive, you have to use the trailer button to bypass the trim limit switch.
The TP is the gauge sender so you can see on your gauge where the drive is. (if it's adjusted properly.)
Look at that manual link I gave you. It explains all of it in detail.

jnaarnold

Seaman

Can someone tell me, after taking the motor cover apart, where do the wires go, respectively for the trim limit switch and the trim guage. I have trace them and they are broken/corroded apart and they were all zip tied together, and all black. I have rewired but must ahve done it wrong because the guage still is inop. and the trim switch only works down. I have the limit switch going to the bullet connectors on the starboard side, the look like they go to the trim motor. The Trim guage or the 'pot' on the port side of the engine(labeled T.P.) is going to a block thing on the port side of the engine. This is where two of the wires were before. I have no diagram and am not sure if I have wired these right. Thanks for the help.
John

Don S

If you don't have manuals, then you don't stand a chance of figuring it all out.
Go to the link below, and download the engine and drive manuals for your boat. FREE.
You need manual #6 for the outdrive and #8 for your engine.
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf

Then, use manual #6 and look at the sections on trim, and section 4A for changing the senders and switches.