Tilt/Trim Issue

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I have a 03 Merc 115 picked it up out of storage and it had leaked some trim fluid so I topped it off with ATF. Let it sit for a couple days and didn't seem to leak. Took the boat out today for first ride and checked it when I got back and it was low. I filled it and ran the motor up and down a bunch and can't see any leaks. There is no fluid on the ram or at the top which leads me to believe it is leaking through the bottom. I take it there is a seal on the bottom where the 4 alan screws are. Anyone had a similiar incident or know how to change out the seals? Thanks

RRitt

Captain
Re: Tilt/Trim Issue

you may have flushed an air bubble out of ram causing fluid level to drop.
Probably not though. The system will never lose fluid until after something is broken.
if you did not loosen or replace the motor then is is not likely to be the four allen screws. They hold the motor/reservoir onto manifold/pump. The reservoir to manifold seal doesn't go bad unless you take off the motor bolts.

my guess would be that your lower oil seal on armature is leaking and the oil has gone up into your motor. If this is true, then the trim motor will run weak and struggle to lift the engine.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tilt/Trim Issue

I'm gonna run it again and see it drop. The thing is it is dropping no fluid in the garage. I ran the trim up and down a dozen times and saw no fluid squeeze out. What do u mean by the fluid is going into the motor? If it is the seal your thinking how hard is it to replace? Thanks