Tilt/Trim Identification Help

tsnipes

Seaman
I have purchased a 1975 Wellcraft with a 3.0 Mercruiser and I am trying to get it running for the summer.

When I purchased it, the outdrive was held up by what I suppose is some type of "transom saver" that goes on the ram that lifts it up. I removed this and the outdrive immediately went down. I looked inside the boat and saw all of the fluid had leaked out from the top of one of the parts in the tilt/trim system, but I am not sure what the part is called. I do not think it is the pump, but it definitely works with the pump.

I was hoping that someone here could help me identify what it is and maybe tell me a little about how this system works.

Thanks.RCA_0052.jpgRCA_0053.jpg

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt/Trim Identification Help

thats part of your steering

thumpar

Admiral

The pump is usually on one side or the other of the engine and mounted to the floor.

tsnipes

Seaman

Thanks for the quick replies. The pump is below this part and is mounted to the floor of the boat, which is why I said that I did not think this part was the pump. A part of the steering system would make sense; thanks hall832.

I have never owned a boat with an I/O setup, so this is all new to me. Would the tilt/trim pump and the steering work together in any way? The reason I ask is because it looks like there are lines from the pump that run up to this part and when the outdrive lowered, the fluid definitely came out of this area and not the pump.

I will have to take a closer look and see how the hydraulic lines are plumbed on this system.

thumpar

Admiral

The steering and tilt/trim do not work on the say system. The tilt/trim hoses do run to the transom but nothing to do with steering.

HaleSeezer

Cadet

I actually have the same system on my boat. The top piece is the reverse lockout valve...keeps the drive from flying up while in reverse. The bottom piece is the actuator for the trim sensor. The piston would run an electrical sensor (not installed) that would operate a trim gauge on the dash. Mine ruptured some time ago and I disconnected everything and converted to a newer style pump. Hope this helps!
Jim

tsnipes

Seaman

I actually have the same system on my boat. The top piece is the reverse lockout valve...keeps the drive from flying up while in reverse. The bottom piece is the actuator for the trim sensor. The piston would run an electrical sensor (not installed) that would operate a trim gauge on the dash. Mine ruptured some time ago and I disconnected everything and converted to a newer style pump. Hope this helps!
Jim

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how difficult it was to do the conversion, as this one leaked all of the fluid out whenever I removed the support that was holding the outdrive in the "up" position.

I have never owned an I/O before, so this is new to me and any information that you may be able to provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how difficult it was to do the conversion, as this one leaked all of the fluid out whenever I removed the support that was holding the outdrive in the "up" position.

I have never owned an I/O before, so this is new to me and any information that you may be able to provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Ayuh,.... You'd need a new pump, 'n a new return oil line,...

You'd get rid of All the stuff in yer return line, from the manifold down under outside the drive, to the new pump,...
Replace it with the new return line, 'n hook up the down line to the new pump,...

You won't have a trim gauge sender,... but ya don't now either,...

HaleSeezer

Cadet

I ended up replacing the pump, lines, and junction block where the lines split to go to the cylinders with parts from an alpha 1 gen 1 drive. It was a tight fit to get the junction block to fit up into the drive as the new lines were a little bigger but it worked. I had to use some silicone on the gasket where it bolts up to the outdrive just to make sure I got a good seal. I'd imagine with some adapters the old lines would've worked and I wouldn't have had to mess with that, but you can't beat free parts. I was able to get all the parts I needed from a friend who had an old junk boat he was getting rid of. He gave me free reign to pull whatever I needed. The newer oildyne pump works just fine now and plugged into my existing trim control wires. By the way, you'd need the mounting bracket for the newer style pump. My old prestolite pump bolted to the side of the engine. The new bracket stands by itself and gets screwed into the floor.

Of course, if your old pump still works ok you could just replace the reverse lockout valve with a new one, check all the hoses, and take the cylinder under it out of the equation all together. That was my original plan but the original pump bit the big one and burned itself out.

Last edited: