Tilt/Trim 89 Evinrude 40

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the tilt rebuilt about a year ago and did not use the boat until a month ago. I hit the tilt and the motor would only go up with my pushing it. I checked the fluid and it was low so I filled it with lower end gear oil (I KNOW -PLEASE DON"T MAKE FUN OF ME- it was all I had on the shelf) So the tilt works, but every time I use the boat I have to run the motor up and down a few times and then when I'm running it the trim won't work if I'm going across the lake. I've tried bleeding it by loosening the fill screw and running the motor up and down and then tightening it. still the same thing. What can I do to make it work consistently? Is it just that I need to put true hydrolic fluid in the pump?? The trim motor works, it just won't lift the engine unless I life and lower the motor a few times and get the juices flowing. Is the consistency of hydrolic fluid and gear oil that different?<br /><br />Thoughts?

Blueclaw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tilt/Trim 89 Evinrude 40

gear oil is much heavier and is not use in hydrolic systems.I'm surprised you even get it to work. the pump screen below the motor must be pretty gummed up. <br /><br />You need to drain the unit completely and fill with OMC tilt and trim oil. Some guys try to use transmission fluid but it doesn't have the same vicosity as the tilt/trim oil.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tilt/Trim 89 Evinrude 40

How do I drain the trim motor? There's a bit flat head nut on the top that is the fill. Is the big one at the bottom the one to empty it??