Tilt/Run lever broke

Nullzero

Cadet
I was out on the water last year and pulled the motor up to clear some weeds from the prop when this happened:

2011-06-04_16-36-32_380.jpg

Thankfully I got it locked in the down position and was able to use it the rest of the summer without messing with it. I want to correct it now though because not all ramps will be forgiving of launching in the down position.

I took another picture that has the other side of the mechanism:
2011-06-04_16-29-37_477.jpg

I have a cable wench that will hold the motor up if I pull it. But I figured I should ask here first because there may be a way to fish this out and fix it without pulling the whole thing and if I DO have to pull it, I'd like to know the best way to go about it.

I have the clymer book for my motor but in the tilt/trim section its primarily dealing with hydraulic tilts and not manual tilts. And in the install/removal portion it just says "Remove motor from boat."

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm running a '74 Johnson 85hp if that helps.

Nullzero

Cadet
Re: Tilt/Run lever broke

Ok I wrestled it up and pulled the trim pin that let me lift it up enough to get the travel arm support down. But since the tilt lock lever isn't there, the spring is still out to try to lock on. It looks like if I can get something under the lower unit to hold the motor in the up position I should be able to correct this without pulling the motor.

Anyone have advice going forward?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt/Run lever broke

Go to Shop.Evinrude.com and look at the parts diagrams for your mtr. You may get some ideas on what's needed for repair. I've repaired them before with out pulling the mtr but you have to keep the mtr up.