tilt problem

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Got a 50hp merc year 2000. The tilt will go down but after 1/2 way up i have to manually assist it. The relays also need some tapping at times but seems unrelated to the first issue. The tilt motor gets juice but it just hangs around 1/2 way up. Also, the tilt motor has significant rust damage. What is the first step before buying a new tilt.

Thanks,

I will take smart *ss answers if they are correct. :):)

IGIFF

Cadet
Re: tilt problem

Top up the oil whilst trimming and it will eventually go all the way up.Trim down and back up and recheck the level.If relay needs tapping it needs replacing,nothing to do with trimming half way up.Rusted motor does not matter if it is working.

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tilt problem

Great info guys, thanks. I checked the pump this weekend and tried to top off the hydro oil but could not break the bottom bolt. The top bolt is plastic and came off fine but i started to strip the bottom bolt so i stopped. I assume you need to remove the bottom bolt like when you change the lower oil unit, right?? If so, any tips on breaking that loose. Trying to not just buy the $240 motor if at all possible.

thx.