Tilt Interference

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 1985 Merc 115 on a 17' Arima Sea Chaser. This engine is so tall it hits the forward edge of the splash well when tilted up. This prevents the engine from tilting up enough to engage the tilt lock so the weight of the engine is supported only by the tilt cylinder when trailering. I have been shoving a sawed off axe handle between the tilting part and the fixed part of the engine's frame then trimming down a bit to transfer some of the load to the axe handle but I'm looking for a better solution. I'm not a fan of transom savers that tie the engine to the trailer. Other than those, does anyone have any ideas?<br /><br />I'll try to post a photo so you can see what I'm trying explain here.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tilt Interference

ArimaEngines.jpg

MrWick

Seaman

I have a similar problem,the steering arm hits the splashwell on my checkmate when tilted up for trailering.I just have to turn the engine all the way in either direction to correct my problem.You might gain a couple of inches if you try the same thing,maybe just enough to help.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestion but turning it doesn’t help.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go with your original thought but use a well shaped piece of softwood. Trim the engine up and slip it in easily then trim down so that the wood shares some of the load.I wouldn't size the wood so that you have to force it in at the maximum achievable trimmed height. I don't really see any cheaper option that would not be destructive to the splash well.

MrWick

Seaman

One thing I did with mine but I only trailer my boat from the house to the filling station 1/2 mile and back to the lake.I took a short piece of 2"x4" and laid it on top of the trim pistons a and then let the engine down on the board.The 2x4 should be long enough to span the transom bracket and let the movable part of the engine down on it.It worked for me and the lower unit was up high enough that it wouldn't dag on anything out on the road.....

RICKRICK1

Ensign

You can make a U shaped support that will fit around the shaft on the trim piston. It just needs to be long enough to fit when the motor is trimmed up. This is sort of like what they use to secure aircraft struts. Hope this helps.