Tilt and Trim

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
Last week I had my boat out and the tilt and trim worked fine. I took the boat out this week and when I hit the up on the switch I dont hear anything but when I hit down it goes down and motor works but nothing when I press up no click motor dosent make any noise. Any suggestion on what could be causing this

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
Re: Tilt and Trim

1974 evinrude 115hp has the prestolite tilt and trim 2 ram system I'm just wondering if its my switch on the dash or what everything worked fine last week and now nothing really starting to frustrate me I checked all the connections and everything

RRitt

Captain

probably a bad solenoid or broken connection between switch and solenoid. try jumping the solenoid and see if it goes up. If not, then go to plan B and see if the motor is any good. Hot wire the motor. black to batt neg, blue to batt pos, green to open circuit. if it doesn;t go up hot wired then your motor is bad.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does this system have a tilt limit switch ? Some times these hang up .

RRitt

Captain

Does this system have a tilt limit switch ? Some times these hang up .

should be the old twin ram system. they ran a coil of resistance wire in the (auto) drivers side ram and used it as a position indicator. Trim limit was accomplished hydraulically. The drivers side ram has a hydraulic stop 1/3rd way up and a telescopic piston shaft. Above 1/3rd all the lifting is done by passenger ram and the bypass pressure is set to a relatively low pressure. If you try to run prop on just one ram then the valve pops open and engine falls.