Tilt (and trim?) revisited...

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
old style Tilt (and trim?) for 1978 Merc 1150 inline 6 has blown another gasket o-ring same one as before). I was playing with what I thought was the trim on this motor (underway), and nothing seemed to be happening. later, when trying to raise the motor to put on the trailor, motor wont come up, and a quart of oil in the bilge. <br /><br />after the fact, I thought I remembered something I read in here about this being a tilt motor only, and that the engine locks on the trim bar when in gear. anybody confirm this? if thats the case, Im sure I blew the 0-ring trying to raise the motor against the locks. if its not the case, Ive got a recurring blown o-ring, and I cant see the reason. Also, am I supposed to turn the knob to release the pressure in the lines when out of the water? <br /><br />as usual, thanks. now, anybody want to come clean my bilges and carpet?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Tilt (and trim?) revisited...

Hi Sundog,<br /><br />The trim system on those engines is a trim system. The reverse locks should not be in place, they should have been removed when the trim system was installed. That said, even when you're in forward gear they shouldn't be engaged. So, you have a problem elsewhere. I have never bothered to 'release the pressure'. When you replace the 'o' ring, get one made from Viton. If you just ask for an 'o'ring you will get Nitrile, Viton is a lot harder and will cope with more pressure. You'll probably have to go to an 'o' ring shop, not a Merc dealer though.<br /><br />Chris............

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, Chris, although that means Ive got to find the problem. the last time I replaced the o-rings, I ordered them from a Merc dealer. the original o-ring was more like a gasket, flat and oval shaped. the new one was just an o-ring that fits the hole. I have no idea where Im going to find a Viton o-ring, but Ill start looking.<br /><br />I didnt think I saw anything that would 'lock' on the engine.

PGURNS

Cadet

The original is most likely just an o ring that has been flattened from being in use.<br /><br />as far as viton o rings go any auto repair shop should have them in all shapes and sizes.Pretty much all automotive air conditioning systems made in the ten years use them instead of the black nitrile ones. I know we have tons of them at work. Hell if you can't find them there shoot me an email with the sizes you need and I'll mail them out to you. I'm sure it will fit in a regular letter envelope.<br /><br />Paul

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

!@#$!@!<br /><br />while putting the 0-rings back in and tightening the bolts, I think I stripped 2 the threads in the bottom plate. Im screwed. anybody know where I can find a lower plate for this unit, or do I have to buy a whole new unit?<br /><br />thanks...I REALLY dont want to have to do this...