tilt and trim guage

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice
bought a boat that had a merc and i put a omc on it. tilt and trim wires were cut at motor. i have tilt and trim wires (3 wires) right at guage. what goes where on guage posts? could this guage only work with merc or is it universal? any help on this would be great.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt and trim guage

DamStriper.... The normal wiring from a OMC control box, or from the wiring harness if a console type arrangement is being used (ignition switch seperate from c/box) would be:<br /><br />Purple to "I" on PTT gauge. (12v only when key is "ON")<br /><br />Black to "G" on PTT gauge. (Ground)<br /><br />White to "S" on PTT gauge. (Sensor)

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

JOE, THANKS FOR THE HELP. NO PROBLEM WITH THE GROUND AND THE HOT WIRE BUT I'VE LOOKED ALL THROUGH THE MANUAL AND I CAN'T FIND WHERE TO WIRE TO THE SENSOR. IS IT LOCATED IN THE BOX BY THE TILT RELAYS?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

DamStriper..... The sensor/lever assy will be on the inside portion of the port transom bracket. Trace the wires from it. One will lead to a ground, the remaining wire/connector/terminal would be the sensor lead. That same lead should also be present at the instrument/control/console end of the wiring harness.... usually a white wire or a white wire with a stripe on it.

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

joe, found it. is working fine now. thanks for the help.