Tie down strap question

sofasurfer

Cadet
I just bought 2 tie downs that goe from the hooks on each side of the boat to the trailer tie down hooks. <br /><br />The straps are the type where you pull the strap tight and then flip the handle down. The instructions say to then wrap the excess strap around the handle to secure it.<br /><br />This setup does not tighten very well. There is some slack. I was hopeing for ratcheting strap but could not find them except in the 15-20ft type that goes over the whole hull.<br /><br />Should I have bought another type or is what I have adequete? Any suggestions?

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tie down strap question

I have similar type and they get tight. Sounds like your not pulling enough slack through. There's a fine point between too much slack and too tight to flip handle past center to locked position. It often takes me 3 or 4 trys to get it just right. One warning, watch your fingers, etc when unhooking, when coming past center, the pressure can make the handle bang your fingers pretty good.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sofa, you can find the type of straps you're looking for at westmarine. If you don't have a local store go to their website.

ndemge

Commander

My brother had those type of straps you have and loves them... so I bought a set... and hated them.<br /><br />I went to walmart, and they sell rachet transom straps... regular straps like you see in the 15-20' length... but these were about 3-4' long.. perfect. I have about a foot of strap haning off when it's tight.

salted nuts

Cadet

I have two and I love them, The trick to adjusting them just right is to pull just enough slack through the clamp so that it is parallel to the ground with slight pressure. When you snap them down they should be snug. A word of caution: The nylon will stretch slightly when wet, dunk them prior to latching. The excess should be tied somewhere so it does't flap in the wind. I have never had a bit of problems with them. (first set corroded in the salt water and the next stainless set is wonderfull)

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess you love 'em or hate 'em. I love mine. It does take a while to learn how snug to have the strap before you flip the handle, and you do need to remember to keep your fingers out of the way when that handle snaps over. I run the extra strap up between the handle and the strap, then back over the outside of the handle, then thread it through the slot at the bottom of the handle. I then fold the strap over and over until I have it all 'rolled' up, then lay it along the handle on the inside and enclose it with the velcro flap. The strap might loosen if the boat settles, but I don't worry about it unless there's so much slack that that a lower hook might come out.<br /><br />The reason I prefer the handle type is that it's simple and reliable. On the way home from the ocean, I'll stop by the lake and back my rig in the fresh water to flush the motor. I leave the boat strapped on the trailer. (While I'm running the motor, the fresh water comes in the open transom drain to rinse the bilge; a great check to make sure the bilge pump switch is working.) The trailer gets backed in and out several times after the motor flush for it's 'rinse'. It's been my experience that the ratchet type doesn't hold up well with this kind of treatment. YMMV.