Tie-Down Reverse Solenoid problem

gsmith3286

Cadet
I recently put in a new tie-down master brake cylinder (model 70LP) and put the old solenoid back on. I don't why I did it, but I unscrewed that fat black cap from the solenoid and I think something may have inadvertently fallen out ( I found a little rubber round gasket on my workbench but I'm not sure where it came from).

Anyway, after backing the vehicle into the garage, I noticed the actuator recessed into the tongue so far that I couldn't unlock the latch. I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but I had to get between the truck and the boat and push the boat back with my feet in order to get the actuator to extend far enough for me to get at the latch.

after inspecting under the tongue, I noticed brake fluid drips. I'm not sure if it was overflow from my MC install or if it's coming from the solenoid or maybe even my new MC.

Anyway, does anyone have a detailed diagram/parts list for the tie-down reverse solenoid part # 11253A?

gsmith3286

Cadet
Re: Tie-Down Reverse Solenoid problem

Thanks, I have that diagram already. I was wondering about the internal parts of the solenoid itself.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Call Tie-Down. I have before and was able to get a tech on the phone. They didn't help me much with my crappy disk brakes that I bought but you may have better luck with this.

gsmith3286

Cadet

No help from Tie-Down...he said they get the solenoids pre-assembled (probably spec'd out to China) and there are no diagrams at all. This is classic Tie-DOwn....junk products with junk manuals.

Expidia

Commander

No help from Tie-Down...he said they get the solenoids pre-assembled (probably spec'd out to China) and there are no diagrams at all. This is classic Tie-DOwn....junk products with junk manuals.

Where did you buy it. Can't you return it for another one? Or send it back to Tie Down's customer service for repair under their warranty.

I avoid Tie Down products. They one's I bought and returned were really cheaply made. Do you really want to bet your life on a brake related Tie Down product?

You get what you pay for . . . Don't skimp when it comes to boating accessories!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Unless they changed recently they use ?Red Hat? solenoids. I've used them for years in my designs. Not sure where they are made anymore but they certainly are no ?Junkier? than the next $25 valve. They are factory sealed units. They?re considered disposable within the industry. It would cost more to repair than they?re worth.

Are you sure the "o-ring" isn't the little rubber grommet for the wire pass-thru?

The stroke of the actuator is what supplies the presure to the brake pads. If you have excess stroke travel (anything over 1") it can only be a couple of things. Either you didn?t completely bleed the actuator, you have air in your brake lines or you have the solenoid in backwards. If you installed the solenoid backwards it will short circuit the system by dumping the fluid directly back into the actuator through the solenoids exhaust port.