tie-down master cylinder install problem

gsmith3286

Cadet
Hi, after replacing the rotors and disks, i found out my master cylinder was blown (leaking from the boot). I got a new master cylinder, installed it, and now i'm trying to bleed the brakes. Having a hell of a time.

I primed the dampener; primed the master cylinder (disconnected brake line at solenoid and pumped with the screwdriver until fluid shot out putting finger over the hole on release.)

When I run the clear tubing off the bleeder and crack the bleeder and then start pumping, I can't seem to get air pocket out of the line. It does seem like there's enough pressure in the system to push the fluid all the way through....I'm lost. Do I need a power bleeder for this? Do I have to have a vaccum test or something? THink I have a leak somewhere?

THanks guys

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tie-down master cylinder install problem

Curious, which model of Tie Down master cylinder did you purchase? I too, am getting ready to replace mine. What brand of trailer do you have?

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I did mine last year I heard you could gravity bleed them, thought it was hogwash. Couldn't get them to bleed the "right" way so figured I had nothing to lose, turns out it worked like a champ. Google it to see the process I was suprised it worked but it did.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What kind of disc did you put on it?

have a Tiedown coupler and couldn't get the brakes to bleed. I even bought a vacuum system to bleed them. Don?t work either. Come to find out the bleeders where leaking around the threads introducing air into the system. Replaced the cheap bleeders with a good quality bleeders (Speed bleeders) and I?ve not had a problem bleeding the brakes since.

gsmith3286

Cadet

Thanks for your input....I have a Trail-star trailer that came with my Nitro (I will never buy another Tracker product again, but that's for a different day). The trailer has a Tie-Down Actuator Model 70LC.

Thanks for the tip on those speed bleeders...I'll have to look them up. I can never, ever seem to purge out the teeny tiny bubbles on the left wheel side...small leak in the solenoid? small leak in a brake line somewhere?

Since the right wheel side bled true, the bleeder thing may be the problem. I read that somewhere else before but I just put a brand new disk/rotor assembly on it!! Could Tie-Down be of that low quality???

Nothing would surprise at this point.

gsmith3286

Cadet

OH yeah, I forgot...

To prime the dampener, I had to chock both wheels; hook up to the truck; creep back and forth a few times to move the coupler in and out before bleeding. Tie-Down tech guy told me to do this.... By hand, the effing coupler would not budge more than a 1/16 of inch, but maybe I'm just a *****. So, despite how easy they make it sound in the directions, you will likely have to use your vehicle to "prime the dampener".

Before bleeding, Champion trailers also recommends Bleeding the Tie-Down MC by disconnecting brake-line behind solenoid; putting your finger over the hole, pumping the brake using the screw driver method until fluid squirts all over the place. I tried to do this...it was incredibly messy and I'm not so sure it worked. There must be an easier way to bench bleed the MC before you start.

The bleeding on the right wheel then worked fine using the tube/container method. Like I said earlier, the left wheel side had stubborn little tiny bubbles that no amount of fluid seemed to take care of. I'm going to try the Speed Bleeders as some other gentleman suggested.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Kinda off the subject but hopefully you bought a disc brake master cylinder. If not, you will have to modify the master cylinder.

gsmith3286

Cadet

It's the master cylinder part no. that matches the actuator model I have... It looks exactly like the old one...which came factory on the trailer. I guess it's possible the factory could have effed up or tie-down support effed up, but the chances of them both effing up are probably slim. The tie-down person asked me specifically if I had Disk Brakes.

I've been pretty happy with Tie Down tech support....it's their product that I question.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

OH yeah, I forgot...

To prime the dampener, I had to chock both wheels; hook up to the truck; creep back and forth a few times to move the coupler in and out before bleeding. Tie-Down tech guy told me to do this.... By hand, the effing coupler would not budge more than a 1/16 of inch, but maybe I'm just a *****. So, despite how easy they make it sound in the directions, you will likely have to use your vehicle to "prime the dampener".

Before bleeding, Champion trailers also recommends Bleeding the Tie-Down MC by disconnecting brake-line behind solenoid; putting your finger over the hole, pumping the brake using the screw driver method until fluid squirts all over the place. I tried to do this...it was incredibly messy and I'm not so sure it worked. There must be an easier way to bench bleed the MC before you start.

The bleeding on the right wheel then worked fine using the tube/container method. Like I said earlier, the left wheel side had stubborn little tiny bubbles that no amount of fluid seemed to take care of. I'm going to try the Speed Bleeders as some other gentleman suggested.

You started out on the wrong foot in your bleeding attempt. Can't bleed a dead ended system. No where for the fluid to bleed to. That's why you couldn't move the coupler w.o. the truck.

The proper way to pre-bleed the coupler is to screw a fitting into the back of the coupler and attach a hose to dump the fluid into a bottle. Use a screw driver in the top slot to actuate the coupler. Only takes a couple of minutes to do. Once you get the air out of the acutator, connect the brakes lines and go at your normal bleeding routine.