Tie a yellow ribbon

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Heard this on the radio this morning. Who else didnt know that this song was written about a guy getting out of jail?<br /><br />Ken<br /><br /><br />"Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree"<br /><br />(As recorded by Tony Orlando & Dawn)<br />IRWIN LEVINE<br />L. RUSSELL BROWN<br /><br />I'm comin' home I've done my time<br />Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine<br />If you received my letter tellin' you I'd soon be free<br />Then you'll know just what to do if you still want me<br />If you still want me.<br /><br />Woah tie a yellow ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />It's been three long years, do ya still want me<br />If I don't see a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />I'll stay on the bus, forget about us<br />Put the blame on me<br />If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the ole oak tree<br /><br />Bus driver please look for me<br />'Cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see<br />I'm really still in prison and my love she holds the key<br />A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free<br />I wrote and told her, please<br /><br />Woah tie a yellow ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />It's been three long years do ya still want me<br />If I don't see a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />I'll stay on the bus, forget about us<br />Put the blame on me<br />If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the ole oak tree<br /><br />Now the whole damn bus is cheering<br />And I can't believe I see<br />A hundred yellow ribbons round the ole oak tree<br /><br />I'm comin home, mmm hmm<br /><br />Tie a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />Tie a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />Tie a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br /><br />Tie a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />Tie a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br />Tie a ribbon round the ole oak tree<br /><br />(c) Copyright 1972 by Tridem Music. (c) Copyright assigned 1973 Five Arts Music.<br />(c) Copyright assigned 1973 Levine & Brown Music, Inc.<br /><br />- SONG HITS, Summer 1974.

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Tie a yellow ribbon

I knew!<br /><br />Just that at the time of it's release, the Vietnam War was still going on, and somehow, it's meaning (the song), changed into the "bring home the soldiers" song, that it is commonly know to mean.<br /><br />Didn't Johnny Cash record this song before Tony Orlando?<br /><br />Does anyone know the real story behind the song "MacArther Park"?

oddjob

Commander

I think I knew it at the time cause we all sang along with the radio. But I had forgotton. Then we (people) began to place yellow ribbons around trees of the homes of husbands, wives, sons, or daughters overseas off to war. Like a prayer that they return safely.<br /><br /><br />Edit:<br />No Kenny, on Jonny Cash. But I know what you mean.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I always knew. As stated above, people just adopted it as a Coming Home song. I think the first time it was used, with the Yellow Ribbons, was the Iran Hostage crisis at the end of the Carter Presidency / Beginning of Reagan Presidency, but I might be mistaken.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by KKC:<br /> ....Does anyone know the real story behind the song "MacArther Park"?....
That's a wierd one, alright, but the one I've always wondered about is "Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann and the Earth Band, written by Springsteen. <br /><br />What the heck is HE talking about. <br /> :confused: :confused: :confused:

KennyKenCan

Commander

Capt. Kidd,<br /><br />You mean you don't know the meaning of...<br /><br />"Blinded by the light<br />Wrapped up like a duce<br />And I'll roll her in the night"<br /><br />You never smoked them funny cigarettes?

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, I knew that. My wife refused to get one of those yellow ribbon "I support our troops" magnets for her car. She waited till she found one that was red, white, and blue. There was no way she was going to equate our soldiers to prisoners!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> Capt. Kidd,<br /><br />You mean you don't know the meaning of...<br /><br />"Blinded by the light<br />Wrapped up like a duce<br />And I'll roll her in the night"<br /><br />You never smoked them funny cigarettes?
No, I didn't. Is that what it's about? I guess my poor, country, sheltered upbringing is showing, huh? I have been trying to figure out the song for about 20 years, and still have no clue what all the references are about. :confused: :confused: