Tide Tamer Boat Lifts

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't see a Lift category, so . . . We want a dual piling Tide Tamer lift in SW FL, between Sarasota and Ft. Myers. Any thoughts? Any dealers?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im partial to Davit Master (manufactured in St Pete) because I know them give them a call, talk to Chris

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have a single piling 1500# aluminum lift made by Tide Tamer. I have it loaded to capacity, or nearly.

The bracket bolted to the piling tends to twist. Also, I needed the have the largest dia piling I could, jetted and pounded to have enough support.

Everything else worked OK, but I replaced the cable with a size larger when the original frayed and replaced the motor with a 3/4HP when the orig 1/2HP motor died due to corrosion.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a single piling 1500# aluminum lift made by Tide Tamer. I have it loaded to capacity, or nearly.

The bracket bolted to the piling tends to twist. Also, I needed the have the largest dia piling I could, jetted and pounded to have enough support.

Everything else worked OK, but I replaced the cable with a size larger when the original frayed and replaced the motor with a 3/4HP when the orig 1/2HP motor died due to corrosion.
Sorry, I don't get notified when there's a reply.

That's sounds like "Swinger", a 1500# jetski lift that swings out over the water, and back over the dock. Seeing one of those is what got me interested in Tide Tamer.

We want a "Dual Piling" 3000# lift, which is two Swingers that are fixed (don't Swing).

I went via Tide Tamer to find the Florida rep, and a Fort Myers company has been to our site and put an estimate together.

I like the Tide Tamer, as opposed to other "elevator" lifts because there is no metal that stays in the water, thus avoiding galvanic corrosion.

We only have a 3-month boating season in Florida, Jan-March, and $25K-ish is enough to spend on a lift.

On Table Rock Lake we have two entire docks, with seven slips, and lifts, but that a whole nuther thing, with lifts operated with air tanks, not cables.

Last edited:

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not getting a lot of response from the Tide Tamer dealer, Overall Outdoor Services in Ft. Myers. I got an estimate, but he doesn't seem to want to fine tune it until we are there in December. By then, it will be too late to get permitting done for this year.

Generally speaking, it's hard to get things done in Charlotte County/SW Florida.

I tried to get our canal dredged to 12 years, and gave up last year when the Corps got nasty. FL DEP was not difficult, but I got things done with them

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I will give my weather guessing opinion.
2 pilings that can raise the boat above the highest SURGE and wave combination. Boat on the DOWNWIND SIDE of pilings. and dock.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not getting a lot of response from the Tide Tamer dealer, Overall Outdoor Services in Ft. Myers. I got an estimate, but he doesn't seem to want to fine tune it until we are there in December. By then, it will be too late to get permitting done for this year.

Generally speaking, it's hard to get things done in Charlotte County/SW Florida.

I tried to get our canal dredged to 12 years, and gave up last year when the Corps got nasty. FL DEP was not difficult, but I got things done with them
Expounding on the "hard to get things done in Charlotte County/SW Florida, the rep for the Tide Tamer dealer, Overall Outdoor Services in Fort Myers, has just stopped responding, after giving me a partial estimate.

&, pursuing DavitMaster, they have a 4500# single piling lift, the Epoch, but they do not install. I will have to go through a dock/lift dealer in our area, and I'm waiting for a reply as to who handles DavitMaster.

Delivered to our location, the Epoch is $18,000.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will give my weather guessing opinion.
2 pilings that can raise the boat above the highest SURGE and wave combination. Boat on the DOWNWIND SIDE of pilings. and dock.
Everything I've seen/read says not to leave boats on lifts during those events, if at all possible. We would not. I have even had a discussion with Tom Neale, of BoatUS, and had my thoughts published in the BoatUS magazine.

In recent years, we have been through 3 hurricanes, with winds as high as 150 mph, and our boat came through unscathed under our carport. That the carport was still there was another issue!!!!

Chances are pretty good that if we had had a lift, where we would have had a lift, it would have been crushed by falling trees.

Surge did not get to us, like it did at Fort Myers Beach, for instance.