Ticking in transom after lower shift cable replacment

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 Four Winns Freedom 195 4.3 Cobra. While at idle in neutral there is a consistent ticking- -about every 15 seconds or so. I've stuck my ear down to where it might be coming from the best I could. It appears to be around where the engine meets the transom.

The only thing I've done that might be related is replace the lower shift cable last season. After some hassle I got the cable adjusted and the boat shifts smoothly. I'm wondering if it is the cable though. Perhaps the ticking is from it being on the verge of trying to kick into forward or reverse while it's in neutral. I should test it when she is in either gear to see if the tick still is there. (Sorry should have done this first before posting this issue.)

Any thoughts 4.3 OMC gurus??

Thanks, Bill.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ticking in transom after lower shift cable replacment

Bump, in hopes someone will have an idea. Thanks.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How quick is this ticking? If you rev the motor does the ticking get faster? You can also pull the outdrive and run it to isolate were the ticking maybe coming from. My first thought is the shift dogs are making the noise.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the thought Idlespeedonly. Hmmm, if it were the shift dogs then I must have the lower shift cable out of adjustment; sorry for what may seem obvious on that. What I've failed to do is check for this tick in both gears. If it goes away in either gear I'm guessing it has to be adjustment. Agreed?