Thundercraft or Sunbird?

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK:
I am looking for opinions here. I need help on which to buy. Either a 1992 Thundercraft 156ss with a 115 Merc on it, great shape, or a 1994 Sunbird 170 corsair with a 90hp Evinrude. Which one is the better boat? Which one is the batter lasting motor? Both of them are in really good shape. The thundercraft seems like it would just fly and handle real nice. It has a 78" beam which is pretty good for a 15.6' boat. I know Thundercrafts are decent boats but I know nothing about Sunbirds? It also seams like a super boat. Down on power compared to the Thundercraft but I don't need to go 55pmh. I am not to concerned about the 1.6' difference, so that doesn't count. I want the one with the best track record as a manufacturer and best motor with least maintenance.

All opinions are valued thanks everyone.

Dan

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thundercraft or Sunbird?

That's a toughy. Both Thundercraft and Sunbird were entry level manufacturers so are probably fairly equal quality wise. Mercs and Evinrudes of that era also fairly equal. So I guess I'd go with the one with the bigger motor. However.....I currently have a 16' boat with not a lot of dead rise. Does not handle chop well AT ALL. Makes for a tough day on choppy water. If I was looking at those boats I'd pick the one with a deeper V. I bet the bigger Sunbird would give a better ride.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

imho, the evinrude is easiler to maintain, buy the owner.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get the Thundercraft & Merc combo.. i
000_2204-1.jpg
had a 1984 and loved it

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys so far. I agree go with the deeper v, however, believe it or not the "v"s" are almost equal. I also agree go with the bigger motor. The mercury is one the 2+2 setups, it is a 1992. The Evinrude is standard V4, its a 1994, so I guess the Mecury will be better on fuel?? I am just looking for which is the best quality Hull and and which is the best Motor. Thanks for letting me know they are on almost even ground builder. So I am assuming both would have used similar woods, hopefully mahogonies in the floor and transom?