thump sound

badognobisc

Cadet
HTML:
when in neutral, I can feel a thump when the motor is running also in gear with muffs. The thump is every 4 seconds then 8 seconds then 4 then 4 then 8 ( probably 4 seconds every time just not feeling it everytime..)

My thoughts would be one of these 1)gimbal bearing 2)u joints 3) mis aligned 4) clutch dog

I shut off engine and started searching but not finding anything that is matching.

What are your opinions, advice, best guess, and thoughts before I go to the parts store in the morning and spend all day working on the problem? It feels like a vibration just not every rotation. Almost like the engine is misfiring.
My idea was to remove the drive and run the engine only to see if it was a misfire and if the vibration was coming from the engine or the drive. The boat has only had 3 days of use due to horrible rain and stormy weather over the past 2 months. 14 inches in 2 days. I jsut want to make sure this is not some bad fuel and risk damage.

Last edited:

badognobisc

Cadet
Re: thump sound

I do have a secondary water line that is pressurized to hook up to the water inlet on the lower unit to feed the motor that pushes 13 gallons per minute.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Pullin' the drive should tell ya which end needs Attention,...

It don't take a Firehose to feed it either.....

badognobisc

Cadet

THx for the advice bondo. Any idea if a u joint assembly or a gimbal would be making that noise. I am leaning on the coupler or the u joint. The vibration was almost in perfect timing.

How much damage ya figure if I let it ride over the weekend if it turns out to be a u joint problem?