Thrust washer removal

sawblade

Cadet
I just purchased a new ss prop and removed the old ss prop from my 1987 150 hp XR2 for the first time since buying the boat. Should I also change the thrust washer now or is there a way to tell if they need changing? I bought the boat used so I have no idea how long that washer has been on there. The old one looks ok but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Also how do you get that sucker to come off the shaft without damaging the LU? I dont want to cause damage by prying on it too much....THANKS

Laddies

Banned
Re: Thrust washer removal

Your new props normally have paperwork with them telling which thrust washer they take. If not ck on a prop site on the internet or let us know the prop numbers so we can ck for you. Ussally penatrating oil and tapping the outside dia. gentle with a hammer

sawblade

Cadet

Thanks laddieservice. The paperwork said to use # 13171 or equivalent. Do you normally need different washers for different props?

KCLOST

Commander

That washer is designed to slide up against a tapered section of the prop shaft... If it is seized on, I'd get it off now while you have the chance... If you can't "gently" tap it off with the use of penetrating oil, a hammer and screwdriver as sort of a prybar... I'd cut it off and start fresh... Clean the prop shaft as best you can... Lube it lightly and no worries in the future... It's not that expensive in relative terms... Call your prop manufacturer for the proper washer you need.<br />And different props do commonly need different thrust washers, especially if they are from different manufacturers....

sawblade

Cadet

Thanks guys, a little WD-40, pry bar, and 5 taps from a hammer was all it took. The washer looks fine but I'm gonna change it just to be safe. I would'nt want to damage my new Stiletto 4 blade.