Thrust washer problem

Fishfinatic

Cadet
If the drive shaft slides into the pinion then, yeah that top washer would have a hell of a time getting up off pinion, the washer can’t get over the shaft to get stuck on it. I think the size of those washers are much larger, I decided to take a magnet to the washer, it’s not brass but zinc coated steel.. it just looked like dirty brass when inspected.

Attachments

• photo293117.png
    photo293117.png
    937.6 KB · Views: 0

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I have to agree with Supreme Mariner it cant be from lower u it even if it is steel I just not the right size or type of material.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It is impossible for the pinion thrust washers & bearing to get out without removing the pinion.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I solved the riddle it’s part number 53, when I removed the lower unit it must have come down and stuck to the lower unit and I picked it up and moved it to the box...I feel ignorant, simple but just didn’t see it in the schematic,even after studying it prob 30 times... thank you for all your help, sorry for being a nuisance on the issue, you’ve helped me diagnose and solve this dilemma... your time was greatly appreciated, thanks for putting up with my pain in the ass!!

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I take it back that wasn’t it but I have discovered my prop isn’t omc I don’t think, it is after market and someone used that washer as a spacer so that the cotter pin would be in the teeth of the castle nut to lock it, without it the castle nut sits out of alignment with the hole.. figured you guys would want to know after all this..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just a little humour here.---Since you were jumping to conclusions here.------No need to go to the exercise club for a few days.----