Thrust washer problem

Fishfinatic

Cadet
So I have a thrust washer on the table, however, I’m not sure how it came out. I just did the water pump and noticed it in the table, I did the upper seals, could that washer have come up past the bearings possibly with the shaft. I also did the lower prop shaft seals but didn’t go past the c clip. I can’t imagine that thrust washer coming up past the bearings below the seals they don’t look like they are wide enough to have the thrust washer come up through, it’s brass or coated and has rollar marks on bottom which makes me think it’s the upper thrust bearing. Does anyone know how this washer might have come out of the lower assembly?, I really hope I don’t have to pull the upper seals or lower seals. I’ve never had this problem in the 3 that I’ve done prior??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Post a pic...and if it has roller marks the bearing/washer needs replaced and other internal bearings inspected.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You talking about a 30hp?

Parts book shows a thrust washer forward of the prop shaft bearing carrier. That's all I know.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo292847.jpg
    photo292847.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo292848.jpg
    photo292848.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo292849.jpg
    photo292849.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Fishfinatic

Cadet
It’s a 1990 j30RESS, I checked the manual and a thrust wash seems possible somehow, it doesn’t fit over shaft on either end so it’s weird.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I saw that one forward of prop shaft bearing, it’s possible I missed it when I did the re assembly after the prop shaft seals

Fishfinatic

Cadet
After review and measurements i found online it seemings Im missing that washer in front of assembly of the bearing housing seal, I ran it a few times hope I didn’t do any damage! I must have used he same box to hold parts when I did the lower seals and it slipped under he fold in the box somehow, supreme Mariner I think your right... thank you for your insight certainly helped me dissect the issue.. I’ll pull it out tonight and see if it’s missing, hopefully that’s it otherwise ill be scratching my head

F_R

Supreme Mariner
After looking at your pictures, I don't think that's it. If it is, there is some serious damage in there, judging by the bearing marks on the washer.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
Then let’s hope that’s not it, I think I’m going to pull the prop shaft again and check to make sure

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I slowely went through the manual again, it’s part number 33 the upper thrust washer, it has a taper which is mentioned in the manual as does the one I have randomely, and it has the marks from the bearing that gets sandwiched between the lower thrust washer, it also has wear from tip of drive shaft ... some how this washer came out when I pulled the drive shaft out of the lower prop shaft assembly past the bearings, the question is how do I get it back down there after already installing the new seals without damaging them pulling them out again..or the alternative is pull the pinion and assemble it back together, however the bearings and springs from what I know can be a real pain without a special tool... Decisions decisions, I wonder if I pull the seals can I get it back past the bearings, the whole thing is bizarre, any ideas of getting back in? Without removing the prop shaft and everything else?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
???How did you get it out of there without removing the pinion???

Fishfinatic

Cadet
That’s the thing I didn’t remove pinion, but that’s what it seems like it is, I pulled the bearing carrier on the prop shaft and it fits on the threaded part there but not over the spline, maybe it goes under castle nut under spacer? It doesn’t show this in the manual but maybe some props have a spacer like such under the castle nut which would then cause spline marks on one side and marks from tightening castle nut on the other, prop is tight and loose without the washer..

Fishfinatic

Cadet
It’s not part 41, my reasoning is that thrust washer fits over the splines behind the bearing carrier, the one I have does not.. so this brings me back to the pinion again, basically the only other spot it shows thrust washers. Just have no idea how it could have come out, if it did come out from pinion, it would have had to come up through the bearings stuck on the drive shaft tip by oil? Which I think is rediculous.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
it may of got held on by being on a slight angle and in that case it could come up, not quite an impossibility

Fishfinatic

Cadet
That’s my fear, I can’t run it with a clear conscience knowing it’s out, so I guess to make sure it’s in there correctly I have to pull the prop shaft back to the pinion, not exactly what I wanted to do but it is what it is, I think my biggest challenge is going to be that spring and ball bearings, once that’s back together everything doesn’t seem so bad after that. Alright we’ll im gonna give it a whirl I guess and see what happens ... thanks for your insight, I’ll let you guys know what I find when I get in there

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Often no special tools required to install those balls.----Or you make the tool from PVC pipe fitting !------Those thrust washers above the pinion can not come out by themselves.-----Sure it came off this motor ?----Kids throw any parts around your workshop ?-----If that is a thrust washer from above the pinion you have serious problems !!----Does not look like one of those pinion thrust washers to me.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I used this box for a parts holder a few times doing repairs. I have no kids. Leading up to the lower unit removal, I did fuel pump, fuel lines, linkage adjustment, spark plugs, prop shaft seals, upper drive shaft seals, water pump, carb rebuild, bearing carrier seals, but that’s really it, I ran it a few times and it seemed fine, smoked a little more than usual, that’s when I replaced the water pump and thermostat to ensure proper cooling, found the thermostat was faulty. In any of these replacements. I’m not seeing a brass washer like that.