Thrust washer and spacer?

mdr56

Recruit
Hello everyone

I have a 1997 Fisher F17DC with Force 90hp. I want to replace a damaged prop. The numbers on the prop have been distorted and unreadable but as far as I can tell it is a 13" x 21" pitch. I have recieved from Solas (p/n 1411-130-21) a replacement prop which has the hub assy already installed in housing. Here is my problem:

When I removed the damaged prop there was not a thrust washer or spacer. The dealer I bought the prop from says I need these items on the new prop and sold me a hub kit which includes the thrust washer but not the spacer. The replacement prop is identical to damaged prop. Should I disregard the thrust washer and spacer and just install new prop like the old one?

The motor runs great, quiet and smooth. The prop was damaged loading onto the trailer the last time out.

Thank you in advance for any help. Trying to get ready for Saturday.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thrust washer and spacer?

Let's try this with some visual aids. Are you saying there was no B on the previous setup?

prop.jpg

I don't know Forces from Porsches, but . . . The prop has to push on something. I have had a prop with a tapered inside ID in the hub and it could run without a thrust washer, but that is not typical for sure . . .

mdr56

Recruit

Thank you for the picture. When I removed the old prop there was not a "B" that came off with the prop but there is a big thick flat washer that is still on the shaft; cannot pull off by hand and have not tried to tap it off and it does not look like it is brass. Also this flat washer does not have a step on one side like a thrust washer but the old prop hub that mated against this washer was ground really bad; so bad I could see numbers but could not make them out. Do you think that washer is my old thrust washer? Has the step on the old washer been ground down over time? That would make sense to me as the new prop with new thrust washer against the old flat washer allows a larger gap between prop and lower unit housing.

Oldskool

Seaman

Sounds as if someone didn't use an actual thrust washer and that what they did use has been wedged onto the prop shaft. You will need to remove it an use an actual thrust washer. The washer, this one or a thrust washer, will turn at the same revolustions as the prop and shaft.

sph130

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same condition - my thrust wash was "stuck" to the shaft. Take two flat head screw drivers one on each side and pry it - shouldn't take too much force to get it loose. Mine is also not brass - looks to be stainless steel. I can assume mine is the original thrust washer and maybe they were not all made of brass back in the day. (1989 cobra 400 120hp i/o)

mdr56

Recruit

Thanks to everyone for excellent info.

Yes the old washer was indeed the old thrust washer. It has a taper bore with p/n 752852 which is the correct number according to iboats.

Anyway it was easy to tap off and replace with new. Same thickness as old; now everything looks much better after installation. I feel a lot better about taking it out tomorrow.

I am very glad I decided to ask a question rather than wonder.

Thanks again!

mdr56

Recruit

Not that it makes a difference but the p/n on old washer is 75282 not 752852.

Thanks again.