Thru hull exhaust. Block off plate leaking.

NateZ

Cadet
My boat has thru hull exhaust, with the block off plate on the transom (Mercruiser 454).

It has started leaking at the bottom of the plate pretty badly on the inside, on the outside of the boat that would corralate to the two holes on the bottom gimbal ring, and the bigger exhaust hole is leaking alittle. I actually had to use two foam rubber balls to plug the holes so I could run the boat last week, :p. However, i know the bigger exhaust port will start leaking badly next.

Heres the thing, I really, REALLY don't want to pull the engine to fix this plate, atleast until after this season, i have the manifolds off so i have alittle more room, i got a wrench on the bottom bolts to see if they were tight, which they were, but was in a hurry and didnt see if i could reach the top ones. Does anybody have experience having enough access to work this plate with the engine still in and the manifolds off?

Since the bolts are very tight, I'm kind of concerned about what i might find behind that plate, is there anybody out there (that also knows of a great product) that might just shoot some expanding product in the three holes and call it a day until the end of the season? The boat has permanent thru hull exhaust. (the boat is always kept on the trailer or completely out of the water on a lift when not in use)

Nate

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Thru hull exhaust. Block off plate leaking.

Pull the engine and fix it.

Unless.....

You are a really good swimmer.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

blockoff plates rarely start leaking 4 bolts and a gasket in there. I`m more likely to go with the transom rotted out there, see 4B-8 this link.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6B4R3.PDF

A friends Baja was taking on water through what appeared to be a leaking block off plate.

The real problem was the Gimbal Housing was corroded away.

havasuboatman

Ensign

The point of these stories is the motor is going to have to come out in order to find, fix or repair your water leak.
You were right about one thing, it's gonna' get worse.

Bondo

Staff member

Heres the thing, I really, REALLY don't want to pull the engine to fix this plate, atleast until after this season,

Ayuh,... I agree with the above posters,...

You really, Really, REALLY need to yank the motor,+ Fix whatever the problem is,....
The End of your season is Here, until ya do....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

agree 110%

besides the hard part of pulling the engine is finding something to pull it with.... otherwise I'd rather pull an engine than the manifolds any day. I can literally do it start to finish in 20 minutes.

NateZ

Cadet

yup......

ok guys thanks

Nate

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you saw the light ;)

NateZ

Cadet

Haha yea, well i had to give it a shot.

Is it possible to pull the gimbal housing without pulling the motor? I'm sure thats what it is the plate looks perfect and the bolts are tight.

Nate

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Pull the engine.

Bondo

Staff member

Is it possible to pull the gimbal housing without pulling the motor?

Nope,... The motor sets ON it...

Pull the Drive, Then the motor, Then fix the Problem...