Through hull transducers

pahuac

Cadet
I recently bought an ST40 Bidata System with speed and depth transducer to install in my wooden sailboat.<br />The catalog (West Marine's) explained that such a system came with nylon transducers, but failed to mention that for wooden hulls you should buy the optional bronze transducers. First thing you read on the installation manual: do not install in wooden hulls.<br />Not having a Raymarine nor a West Marine representative at home, it is difficult to reverse the import/export operation and therefore I would ask: Has anyone installed plastic through hull accesories on wood? What is the real risk? How can one minimize this risk?<br /><br />Thanks,

flashback

Captain
Re: Through hull transducers

Try at your own risk! I would guess the reason for the bronze on a wood hull is swelling or expansion as the moisture in the wood changes. this could crack a plastic fitting. I would guess you could use the plastic if you bed it liberally with silicone and then just snug the tighting nut just a little until the silicone cured.. just a thought.