Throttle transition problems

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Been having some thottle issues with my '79 25HP seahorse. At the end of last season everything seemed to be running fine. Good smooth throttle response. We finally got the baot out a few weeks ago and have been out on the water a few times. I've noticed that this year the throttle transition is not as smooth as last year. It will idle smoothly and it will run at full throttle smoothly, but getting to full throttle is not as pleasant. If I accelerate slowly it's not as bad, but if I hit it fairly hard it kinda sputters and lags a bit before coming up to full power. After running at full throttle for an extended time I slowly back off the throttle it's doesn't seem to effect it much but all of a sudden I get to a certain point and the engine slows down suddenly rather than gradually.<br /><br />Anyone have any ideas?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Throttle transition problems

Hi BWS, sounds like you are due for a carb clean/rebuild. Easy job just take your time. Tons of posts on how to by using the red search feature at the top of the page.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking either a carb cleaning or maybe a leak in my fuel lines.<br /><br />I've never rebuilt or cleaned the carb. You say it's easy? Does it require adjusting the idle mixtures afterwards? Is that a pain in the butt?

fireman57

Captain

It shouldn't require any adjustment. The carb is easy if you take your time. Just make sure that you soak it in a good carb cleaner and blow all the orafices out with compressed air to make sure they are clear. Just replace the parts that you get in the kit.