throttle tight with new cable

scott8733

Recruit
I recently purchased a 89, 200 evinrude with a tight throttle. I replaced the cable with a standard teleflex, lubricated the engine linkage and control unit and it is still tight. The cable is 20' long. What can I use as a guide to know if my engine linkage is too tight? Should I buy a premium cable for this length? Thanks for any help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: throttle tight with new cable

Hi dusky, welcome aboard iboats!<br /><br />First, when you are operating the throttle controls with the engine NOT running, are you having someone spin the prop while shifting into gear? This is important. This allows the lobes on the clutch dog and gear to mate. If the don't mate, you can bust something and it will appear that the controls are hard to use.<br /><br />Second, disconnect both control cables at the engine and see if the throttle is still hard to move. If so, the problem is in the controls.<br /><br />Third, if the controls free up with the cables disconnected, the problem is on the engine. Possible the throttle lever is in need of some lube. There will be some resistance when operated by hand because of all the connections at the linkages. <br /><br />Just remember to spin that prop while shifting if the engine is not running.